If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

starting a bike after several years in the garage

kiefnerdn

starting a bike after several years in the garage

Post by kiefnerdn »

Hi Folks: This issue has probably come up numerous times over the years, so please bear with me if it's already been addressed in this forum. I bought a nicely restored 1976 R60/6 a couple of years ago, but have not ridden it as much as I had hoped mainly because of some balance issues that have come with age. The bike has been stored in my unheated garage in Maine while I'm away over the winter, but I'd really like to get it going again this summer. The battery is now fully charged. I'd welcome any suggestions some of the members might have on what precautionary steps I should take prior to firing up the engine after its being dormant for such a long period of time. Thank you.

David Kiefner
Lubec, ME

schrader7032

Re: starting a bike after several years in the garage

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! An unheated garage in Maine seems a little extreme to me...let's see what other's think for steps.

I'd drain the gas tank and/or flush it completly out. I'd drop the float bowls and get rid of anything in there. I'd drop the oil, then refill with fresh. While you have the float bowls off, it would be good to hit the starter until you see the oil light go out. That way you know you're not starting with the system dry.

While the tank is off, might be good to bleed the front brake.

Do you have issues with critters? Is it possible that a varmit has found its way into the airbox, behind the front cover, inside the mufflers? Might want to confirm that's all clear.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Kurt covers most of the bases. Maybe I am a bit fussy or picky but I would also drop the gear oils as well. Fork oil most likely will have to be changed and more the point the forks may have to be rebuilt as the bumpers inside the legs tend to dissolve over time.

I would also ditch the tires and tubes.

Check for cables like the clutch, throttles, and choke to see if they have not corroded inside and at the pivot points.

Oh man, don't get me started on critters. I have seen moderate infestation where a few seeds get blown out of the mufflers on start up to major expensive damage. Take off the air filter cover, the starter cover and the engine front cover and look for critter signs.
Good luck. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

vechorik1373

Post by vechorik1373 »

My advice is:
It is VERY important on a /5 /6 /7 that has been sitting, to replace the oil filter! Not because the filter itself is plugged up, (it won't be) but the fact that there are two rubber "sleeves" made up on the filter (originally it was two O rings, but the new filters have a rubber tube on the ends, and have for many many years)

You see, the danger is, that with time, and being squeezed by the cover plate and bolt, the rubber tubes will split.
And if they do, much of the oil will not be forced into the system, and will leak back to the pan.

I have seen these bikes, have a flickering oil light (less than 14 psi) at idle, hot. All because of the rubber being spit at both ends of the filter.
Put a new filter (that has new rubber tubes in each end) in, and the light will no longer flicker.
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

kiefnerdn

Post by kiefnerdn »

Many thanks to all who replied to my initial inquiry about restarting my R60/6 after a couple years of remaining idle in my garage. Lots of very helpful suggestions and I'll try to address all of them as time and budget allows. I've also pretty much decided to put the bike in the capable hands of Ande at Barrington Motor Works in NH as I seem to have a problem with downshifting at certain speeds and a possible oil leak in the rear drive shaft. Hope it's nothing too serious. And a special shoutout to Vech for his advice concerning the oil filter replacement.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

I have also just resurrected a 1983 R100. I’d like to get a few spares of the correct, updated oil filter For this bike. My local dealer has not been a good source for these. Can you recommend a vendor that would stock the oil filter, or oil filter kit?
vechorik1373 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:27 am
My advice is:
It is VERY important on a /5 /6 /7 that has been sitting, to replace the oil filter! Not because the filter itself is plugged up, (it won't be) but the fact that there are two rubber "sleeves" made up on the filter (originally it was two O rings, but the new filters have a rubber tube on the ends, and have for many many years)

You see, the danger is, that with time, and being squeezed by the cover plate and bolt, the rubber tubes will split.
And if they do, much of the oil will not be forced into the system, and will leak back to the pan.

I have seen these bikes, have a flickering oil light (less than 14 psi) at idle, hot. All because of the rubber being spit at both ends of the filter.
Put a new filter (that has new rubber tubes in each end) in, and the light will no longer flicker.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

EME sells two different filters one is Mahle the other Everlast. I have had good luck with the Mahle filters. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Great, I have gotten any electrical parts from them. Didn’t realize they handled consumables.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

David:
One little trick that I didn't see mentioned: after you change the oil and filter, pull the spark plugs and crank the engine, without a load, until the oil light goes out. That can help prevent skuffing a bearing. I would put in new plugs as well - points and condenser if you haven't upgraded to electronic ignition.

Craig