If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R90 ? parts Info

Sir Huebert

R90 ? parts Info

Post by Sir Huebert »

Hi,
The parts in ? do they fit together, or am i missing something,
The parts were removed from the bike when running.

Bike R90s, ( by frame and engine numbers ) yes that is doubtful, had been converted (as the rest of the bike to non standard ) with a oil cooler.
So I am going back to standard.
The oil filter tube is only 124mm total length ??
Oil feed pipe seems to manufactured by ??
Oil filter cover seems to fit alignment bolts but is a ? as well. Not really sure if this cover was on the bike at all ?
1DEEFEA8-7B33-4D9C-BB12-1F8B3B224A8D.jpeg
28FF84CB-FE60-4CCC-869E-68CB4EB98CAB.jpeg
Wil be great full on any ideas,

cheers, Huey.

srankin

Re: R90 ? parts Info

Post by srankin »

Hello Huey, I can't comment on length of pipe or such but will say that when an oil cooler is added to a bike, things change. While not an R90, I took the oil cooler off of my RS. To do so I needed to change the pipe from the oil cooler unit to the non oil cooler unit.

At this time, I suggest you go to one of the online dealer's website parts microfiche and have a look and comparison of part numbers for your bike between oil cooler equipped and non.

Looking at the parts you have laid out in the picture I don't see anything strange. Don't take my word for it but as far as I know, the filter canister housing and cap look like the proper parts as does the cover for the outside.

Good luck. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! The cover with the ribs isn't like anything I've seen. My understanding of the pre /7 cover was that it was simply a flat plate. I doubt the ribs would have added anything to cooling.

Snowbum has a lengthy article on the oiling system, filters, and thermostats here:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Oil.htm

I think the important stuff begins paragraph 25.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jeffreestar

Post by jeffreestar »

It might be helpful to consult with a BMW motorcycle expert or refer to the bike's original documentation to ensure you're using the correct parts

that's not my neighbor

DHUTTON

Post by DHUTTON »

I've not seen and Airhead cover plate with a single tapped port and ribs, just a guess here, but maybe an aftermarket for a remote gauge, pressure switch, maybe for testing?