If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

getting the background info on the /7 bikes

malmac

Re: getting the background info on the /7 bikes

Post by malmac »

srankin wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:52 pm
Lol Mal, if you can make that, you can make a "ride off stand", it doesn't have to be an exact copy nor of the same material. just functional. Who knows, you might end up with a side line like those guys in AU who started Wedgetail ignitions. St.
I have met the two main guys who built the Wedge-tail system. Don't know them well, but they come from Brisbane, an hour or so down the road from Toowoomba. Smart guys.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

malmac wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:08 pm
Tow bar from rear.
Beautiful work there Mal. Looks factory. I understand better why you extended the bracket all the way forward to the rear footpegs. You've got a long lever hanging off the rear. I could see it before, but it didn't click until now.
R69 R90/6 R100/7 R100S R1150GSA S2R1000

srankin

Post by srankin »

I installed a Wedgetail ignition into my 78RS, for once the sales hype was true. IF you are going to get rid of points and want to make an almost perfect bike run close to perfection, this is the ignitions system to install.

So much like the factory system on later bikes, no wiring or soldering. Troubleshoots (if ever needed) like the factory system. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

malmac

Post by malmac »

srankin wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:07 am
I installed a Wedgetail ignition into my 78RS, for once the sales hype was true. IF you are going to get rid of points and want to make an almost perfect bike run close to perfection, this is the ignitions system to install.

So much like the factory system on later bikes, no wiring or soldering. Troubleshoots (if ever needed) like the factory system. St.
Well that is a great recommendation. Does the 78RS have the slotted end on the camshaft or the threaded end?

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

From RealOEM, the 308-deg camshaft was used for all Airheads beginning late 1973 to 1984. I'm not familiar with the terms slotted or threaded on the end of the camshaft.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Like Kurt, I am not sure what you mean about the cam? Here is the items of the points and advance system which is replaced by the Wedgetail uint.

All timing is done electronically using a Hall effect trigger instead of points.
B0000274.png
St.

malmac

Post by malmac »

srankin wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:08 pm
Like Kurt, I am not sure what you mean about the cam? Here is the items of the points and advance system which is replaced by the Wedgetail uint.

All timing is done electronically using a Hall effect trigger instead of points. B0000274.png

St.
I do not claim to have personal experience of the later slotted camshaft. But on my R90/6 I did have the system you illustrated. So I am making the assumption that the slotted cam did not arrive until after 1978 (which is your bike).

The Wedgetail sounds very good and I would certainly try and get one when I find the right machine.

I'm still looking.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have looked at the microfiches for cam shafts for the R90/6 and my 78 R100RS, there are more than one option per bike showing at Max's fiche site.

LOL, I guess I will have to go to Snowbum's website and see if I can make out which cam is in my bike.

I know that in 79, BMW put the points and advance weights into a can, this lasted until 81 when they got rid of the points and went to electronic ignition.

I am not sure just when conversion from a double row timing chain switched to single row. it may have been as early as 79 or perhaps 81.
St.

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

My cams (bikes from '75-'78) are all threaded, with the D-shaped piece to lock in the advance unit. I have the "hot cam" in my R100S, but not sure I notice any difference. It also has the same d-shape.

BTW - if you ever break the threaded tip off the end of the cam, like I did while in college, you can make a repair by threading a hole into the center of the end of the cam and use a threaded screw to hold the advance on. I have memories of putting my bike on the centerstand, turning the handlebars full crank and using an upside down milk crate with magazines stacked on top and a corded drill resting on it's side in order to get things lined up. The hole wasn't dead nuts centered, but it worked. I sometimes have to laugh at my younger self.

I got the advice from Ted Porter when he used to be the Service Manager at Bob's BMW back in the early 90s.
R69 R90/6 R100/7 R100S R1150GSA S2R1000

malmac

Post by malmac »

Werner1111 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:12 pm
My cams (bikes from '75-'78) are all threaded, with the D-shaped piece to lock in the advance unit. I have the "hot cam" in my R100S, but not sure I notice any difference. It also has the same d-shape.

BTW - if you ever break the threaded tip off the end of the cam, like I did while in college, you can make a repair by threading a hole into the center of the end of the cam and use a threaded screw to hold the advance on. I have memories of putting my bike on the centerstand, turning the handlebars full crank and using an upside down milk crate with magazines stacked on top and a corded drill resting on it's side in order to get things lined up. The hole wasn't dead nuts centered, but it worked. I sometimes have to laugh at my younger self.

I got the advice from Ted Porter when he used to be the Service Manager at Bob's BMW back in the early 90s.
I did exactly the same thing on my R90/6. Broke the threaded section off. And fixed it the same way you did.
Yes the stories from our youth.
Sounds like we have traveled many of the same roads through life. I hope you didn't hit every pot hole I have.

Regards

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia