If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

getting the background info on the /7 bikes

malmac

Re: getting the background info on the /7 bikes

Post by malmac »

Here's how I bought it. It didn't run at the time, but had "good bones".

[/quote]

The /6 looks every bit as good as the /7. They both have their visual charms. I remember I was about 17 when the first /5s appeared at our local dealer. I spent many hours after the shop closed looking through that plate glass window. Some of those experiences are hard to erase. So the slab sided tanks have a deep seated appeal even though the /7 tank is a much prettier unit.

I am open to either model. It is just a matter of looking for one that fits the bill and is for sale.
I have neither the storage space or the money to buy the next dozen that seem almost right and then pick the best one and sell off the rest. I have to try very hard to make my only decision the right decision..... even in retrospect.

It would be nice to have the shoe on the other foot and be helping you to spend your money..... so much less stressful.

Regards

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

Just a few quick thoughts on the /6. In the picture, it looks pretty much stock. Nothing jumps out at me as being out of place.

The /6 will have the Serial# in 3 places - above the oil dipstick, on the right side of the frame by the front of the tank, and on the steering head plate. For future knowledge, the '78 won't have a steering head plate, but instead a sticker on the frame tube below the right side cylinder, as you sit on the bike. I'm not sure about the '77, but for some reason I think the sticker didn't start until '78. Feel free to correct me.

Also, many have replaced the /6 handlebar switch gear with units from the /7, because that is the only one that is available anymore. This is the correct /6 switch (right side in this case). You put your thumb between the two peaks (below L and above R) and rock the switch up/down for left/right turn signal. The left and right are similar except left side is yellow for lights and right side is red for run/stop.

This is the /7, style of switch (left side). It has a wing and you either put your thumb above (where it says high/low), or below (it is black there), the wing to move it up/down.

Looking forward to hearing what you find out. Good luck!
R69 R90/6 R100/7 R100S R1150GSA S2R1000

malmac

Post by malmac »

Well from the photos it looks like it has /7 switch gear.
handlebars.jpg
I am assuming this is a non BMW reproduction seat with a plastic base? Or have I got that wrong?
Also the seat hinges are different to what I had - was this an upgrade?
under seat.jpg
I have written a check list of things to look at that include such items as serviceability of form gaiters and rear drive boot.
Distortion of the rear mount for the tank - often bent in a crash. Steering stops on bottom triple clamp - crash damage
Function of steering damper - and many more.
I'm surprised how many details flood back after the decades.

Well I will let you know how the inspection goes.

Regards

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

srankin

Post by srankin »

I may be wrong but later in the life of the /6 bikes particularly the R90S bikes, BMW switched the handlebar controls from the older "round" gear to the /7 style switches you have in your picture. The date may have been mid 76?

As for the seat, it is not a BMW seat and to be honest, I don't recognize the make at all. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

srankin wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:37 pm
I may be wrong but later in the life of the /6 bikes particularly the R90S bikes, BMW switched the handlebar controls from the older "round" gear to the /7 style switches you have in your picture. The date may have been mid 76?
Yes, that's the case. You'll see in the picture with the red switch gear, that's from the /6 from 1975 and 1976. In 1974, BMW used the round switchgear from the /5. In 1977, they went to the wing style of switch gear for the /7. They look very similar but they are not the same.

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

I'm sure it's on your list, but speedo and tach rebuild are not cheap. I think either could be $400-$500+ here in the States. A tool kit used on eBay is about $150-$200 and a repop is $200+.

Three locks - ignition, steering head, seat. Hopefully keyed the same.

Aftermarket seat for sure and yes, /7 controls. I noticed the sticker on the rear fender that looks factory, but you can buy those now in the aftermarket. The original paint job would like still have the inspektion sticker on the rear fender as well, closer to the tool box.

Perhaps the black tape on the rear fender is there to protect it from the air pump.

It does look very clean and bright/shiny.

malmac

Post by malmac »

Werner1111 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:46 pm
I'm sure it's on your list, but speedo and tach rebuild are not cheap. I think either could be $400-$500+ here in the States. A tool kit used on eBay is about $150-$200 and a repop is $200+.

Three locks - ignition, steering head, seat. Hopefully keyed the same.

Aftermarket seat for sure and yes, /7 controls. I noticed the sticker on the rear fender that looks factory, but you can buy those now in the aftermarket. The original paint job would like still have the inspektion sticker on the rear fender as well, closer to the tool box.

Perhaps the black tape on the rear fender is there to protect it from the air pump.

It does look very clean and bright/shiny.

Good point - I had missed the steering lock keyed the same.

Well today is the day.

fingers crossed.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

cwf

Post by cwf »

The centre stand is definitely different. I got on well with the original, although it needed welding after 100,000 miles.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Reynolds ride off stands were available for a number of years to replace the center stands on airheads of certain years.

In my mind, they were one of the best improvements ever made. Since I have had the stand installed on my bike I have never had an incident of the bike falling over, digging into asphalt on a hot day and falling over, or falling over on street sides with uneven ground.

The Reynolds stand is almost perfect and would be perfect if only it could be adjusted when time came to take off a wheel.

By the way, I rarely use my side stand since the Reynolds stand was installed, don't need it and the bike is more stable on the ride off stand. Both of my airheads have ride off stands.

Sadly, Reynolds is out of business and finding good used ride off stands is getting difficult. They do wear out on the bottom unfortunately. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I finally developed a procedure to get the wheels off the ground with my Reynolds. Requires placement of some pieces of wood to first get the front wheel on top of the board which then improves the clearance for getting the center stand on top of its board. As for wear on the bottom, not much you can do when on the road, but in the garage, I use some sections of rubber baseboard moulding. It's very thin so it doesn't add to getting the bike on the stand but provides protection to the stand. I use similar strips for my other bikes with stock stands.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.