If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

getting the background info on the /7 bikes

malmac

Re: getting the background info on the /7 bikes

Post by malmac »

srankin wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:22 pm
Hey don't be in a hurry, you have some time left in winter yet to find the right bike, or is your winter such you can ride in relative comfort all year around? My friend outside of Melbourne sent a drone picture of snow on the ground near him. He claims it is the coldest winter on record.

Anyway, I do know one thing, you guys in AU tend seem to appreciate the airhead bikes or just appreciate older vehicles in general and unless I am wildly mistaken tend to treat them better and maintain them better than here.

Something nice for the right price will come along and of course after you buy, something nicer will turn up for a better price LOL.

As I have written I am enjoying this thread but alas, my bronchitis has cleared up and I am hoping to get back to spending more time on the bike, outdoors or in the convertible than in front of the computer. Cheers, St.
Well I am pleased you are feeling better and that many happy miles will soon be flowing beneath your feet.
I live in Toowoomba which can get cold but not enough to prevent a ride on warmer afternoons. Not sure if people look after their bikes better. Maybe you just have a much bigger population and in the past at least bikes were more affordable than here.

You are so right when you say, "of course after you buy, something nicer will turn up for a better price LOL."

That is one of the challenges in making a final decision.

Enjoy that ride and post some pics.

Cheers Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

Werner1111 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:04 pm
Here's some pictures of Reynolds center stands. I was trying to figure out what Charlie was talking about and realized there was one on my green R90/6 when I first bought it. I'm personally not a fan of them only because you don't get the wheels off the ground for easier maintenance. However, they are easier to use and the ride off feature is nice. The factory sidestand is not the best either and many go with a Brown sidestand.

Interesting idea.
Makes me think of the possibility of an adjustable centre stand.
Maybe three height settings.
Here the tow bar I made for my 1200.
It has only two height settings but it could have more - within limitations.
Thanks for intriducing me to the Reynolds cenre stand.

Mal
2L2A5294LR.jpg
2L2A5291LR.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

srankin

Post by srankin »

Mal, there were different versions of the Reynolds stand to match different bikes. So for example a stand for my 84 RT won't work on my 78RS. Like any major part if you find one you have to make sure it fits your bike.

Some of the ride off stands had a three digit part number stamped on them, which can be referenced back to Reynolds information that still floats around on the internet. Others don't and eyeballing them for fit doesn't work that well. You have to know what bike the stand came off of and if it worked on that bike.

I am really surprised in this day in age with computer controlled tube bending and welding with scanning and digital design someone hasn't picked up the torch and started making them again. Most likely it is because of patents or just economics, the market may no longer be there.

Reynolds at the time made some very nice luggage racks and I may be mistaken but at the time, the racks were nicer than some of the stuff BMW was selling, or perhaps BMW sourced them for racks. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

Nice work on that tow bar, Mal. I love the ingenuity and the finish is very nice, too. How did you make the curved cuts in the thick, black metal bracket near the top of the device?

Edit - I just looked more closely. Did you fab the piece all the way to the rear foot peg? Is that for saddle bags?
R69 R90/6 R100/7 R100S R1150GSA S2R1000

malmac

Post by malmac »

Werner1111 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:10 pm
Nice work on that tow bar, Mal. I love the ingenuity and the finish is very nice, too. How did you make the curved cuts in the thick, black metal bracket near the top of the device?

Edit - I just looked more closely. Did you fab the piece all the way to the rear foot peg? Is that for saddle bags?
The tow bar parts were cut using our Plasma cutter and then tweaked with the linishing belt.
The plates run through to the rear footpegs and are clamped to the rear sub frame using an over centre mounting system. See pic.
2L2A5295LR.jpg
The chromed tubes are actually cut from an old /6 front fork staunchen. I drilled out the oil passages for the mounting bolts. That is why the bolts on the left are not aligned with bolts on the right. But it works just fine.
I rather enjoy making stuff in the workshop.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

srankin wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:26 am
Mal, there were different versions of the Reynolds stand to match different bikes. So for example a stand for my 84 RT won't work on my 78RS. Like any major part if you find one you have to make sure it fits your bike.

Some of the ride off stands had a three digit part number stamped on them, which can be referenced back to Reynolds information that still floats around on the internet. Others don't and eyeballing them for fit doesn't work that well. You have to know what bike the stand came off of and if it worked on that bike.

I am really surprised in this day in age with computer controlled tube bending and welding with scanning and digital design someone hasn't picked up the torch and started making them again. Most likely it is because of patents or just economics, the market may no longer be there.

Reynolds at the time made some very nice luggage racks and I may be mistaken but at the time, the racks were nicer than some of the stuff BMW was selling, or perhaps BMW sourced them for racks. St.
You are certainly right about different tech available now.
I also tripped over some picks of this USA made side stand. Not exactly sure how it works but the build quality looks terrific.
279314597_5754161397932778_7155112240107821946_n.jpg
279355470_5754161344599450_3547704422666997598_n.jpg
Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

srankin

Post by srankin »

That is a unit I have never seen before, it sure looks well built. It would be really interesting to hear from someone who installed it on their bike and how it actually works.

LOL, it doesn't take much to improve the stock side stands in some cases. The one on my 78 RS is not bad at all for what little I use it. The one on my 84 R80RT is almost useless and is a pain in the ":_ to deploy and use. St.

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

malmac wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:25 pm
The tow bar parts were cut using our Plasma cutter and then tweaked with the linishing belt.
The plates run through to the rear footpegs and are clamped to the rear sub frame using an over centre mounting system.

The chromed tubes are actually cut from an old /6 front fork staunchen. I drilled out the oil passages for the mounting bolts. That is why the bolts on the left are not aligned with bolts on the right. But it works just fine.

Mal
I see it now, with the extra picture. That's some really nice work there. It's great that you can make your own components. When you have a moment, would you post a picture of the back of the bike? I'd just like to see the setup from that angle.
R69 R90/6 R100/7 R100S R1150GSA S2R1000

srankin

Post by srankin »

Lol Mal, if you can make that, you can make a "ride off stand", it doesn't have to be an exact copy nor of the same material. just functional. Who knows, you might end up with a side line like those guys in AU who started Wedgetail ignitions. St.

malmac

Post by malmac »

Werner1111 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:19 pm
malmac wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:25 pm
The plates run through to the rear footpegs and are clamped to the rear sub frame using an over centre mounting system.

Mal
I see it now, with the extra picture. That's some really nice work there. It's great that you can make your own components. When you have a moment, would you post a picture of the back of the bike? I'd just like to see the setup from that angle.
Tow bar from rear.
2L2A529LR.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia