If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

getting the background info on the /7 bikes

malmac

Re: getting the background info on the /7 bikes

Post by malmac »

srankin wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:41 pm
Reynolds ride off stands were available for a number of years to replace the center stands on airheads of certain years.

In my mind, they were one of the best improvements ever made. Since I have had the stand installed on my bike I have never had an incident of the bike falling over, digging into asphalt on a hot day and falling over, or falling over on street sides with uneven ground.

The Reynolds stand is almost perfect and would be perfect if only it could be adjusted when time came to take off a wheel.

By the way, I rarely use my side stand since the Reynolds stand was installed, don't need it and the bike is more stable on the ride off stand. Both of my airheads have ride off stands.

Sadly, Reynolds is out of business and finding good used ride off stands is getting difficult. They do wear out on the bottom unfortunately. St.
Be interesting to see some better photos of this Reynolds stand - maybe I could make one in due course.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

INSPECTION OF THE BLUE R90/6
R90_opt1.jpg
Well quite a disappointing inspection.
The bike seems in reasonable condition however, the guy would not run it for me as he didnt want to put fuel in it and lob in a battery. So the engine could be crap.
It did not have a batter so could not check any of the switches etc.
The steering damper was frozen solid.
The locks were commonly keyed.
The seat and under seat tool tray and rubber cover were cheap knock offs.
There was a pronounced amount of backlash in the back wheel to universal.
The price was high and all in all I was not prepared to pay top dollar for a shiny blue tank and guards.

So that one is being given the flick.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

THE NEXT OPTION
75stroke605_n.jpg
When I got home I got a reply from a chap with a 750/6 for sale which is about 2.5 hours drive away.
Still to find out more details. I have often heard the 75 is actually a smoother motor than the 90. I would be quite happy to own a 75 rather than a 90.
It is not an American import - so a more known history
Fully registered, so can be test ridden.
So don't hesitate to run the 75's down. Better to know the worst up front.
75stroke604_n.jpg
At face value looks promising.
Any ideas on relative price to the 900 version?

Cheers guys.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

srankin

Post by srankin »

I can testify to the smoothness of the 750 engine, while I had a one year bike, the R75/7, it was really a R75/6 engine in a one year /7 frame. in 79, the engines were upgraded to 800 and continue to be smooth. LOL, I have 30plus years and 230K plus miles on my 800 so either I am crazy or the engine does what is should well.

I would NOT have sold my R75/7 if at the time there had been a proper fairing for it, and double disc brakes in the front, LOL in other words, I fell in love with the BMW factory RS and RT fairings and back then, it was just too darn expensive to put one onto my R75, and to upgrade to a dual caliper front brake system. It was cheaper to buy a new bike with those things installed at the factory.

Mal, sorry the first bike didn't work out. Man I can't believe the seller wants that kind of money for a non running bike! Like I said in an earlier post, some people are unbelievable in what they expect to get for BMW bikes.

As for the price of the R75/6, I can't guess but would say depending on condition perhaps $5 to $7K would be fair? Only if it it were running 100% right at the time of sale and a test ride didn't show anything up.

Now you are an educated buyer and were wise enough to see the bad deal with the first bike. It angers me when someone sells a bad bike to someone who really wants an airhead and has never had one only to be burned. Then, previous owner's disease kicks in, the new owner is stuck with an expensive paper weight and a bad feeling for BMW airheads. As a long time airhead and only airhead owner, I am saddened because they are such a good bike when sorted and cared for.

It is too bad you don't live a lot closer, my friend at his shop could fix you up with a bike for a decent price that has been sorted and he would stand behind it. Good luck on the search, you will find one, they are out there. Sadly owners like me are getting older and selling despite our love for the bikes one day we will not be able to ride them. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

Here's some pictures of Reynolds center stands. I was trying to figure out what Charlie was talking about and realized there was one on my green R90/6 when I first bought it. I'm personally not a fan of them only because you don't get the wheels off the ground for easier maintenance. However, they are easier to use and the ride off feature is nice. The factory sidestand is not the best either and many go with a Brown sidestand.

R69 R90/6 R100/7 R100S R1150GSA S2R1000

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

Who was the owner that they would expect a buyer to buy without starting it or check the lights, especially at that price. Glad you walked.

Regarding price, I've been meaning to say that I'm surprised that the price of these bikes is so high in USD. I realize the FX is working against you at the moment. I've worked in Australia quite a bit and it does feel like everything there is more pricey than the US, but still. In the US, I would expect to pay $4500 to $5500 for an excellent condition R90/6.
This one is a bit high in $ --> https://missoula.craigslist.org/mcy/d/b ... 12384.html. Perhaps $3500 to $5000 for an R100/7. This one is nice but not perfect --> https://skagit.craigslist.org/mcy/d/lop ... 28135.html The R90S is a different story. Starting price is typically $11-$12K and it goes up.

Regarding the R75/6, that's a looker. It also has the /7 switch gear on the handlebars. There is something funny going on with the back of the seat. The padding should not bunch up and push through the seat rack.

I also had an R75/6 and it was really fun to ride. I don't know that my R90/6 feels any faster or better. Here, I might expect a $1000 discount for the R75 vs the R90. Here's an R75/6 with an R90S paint job in average condition. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/ ... 03642.html
Last edited by Werner1111 on Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

PS - I actually helped my buddy in Adelaide buy a blue R75/5 toaster here in the US for USD$4500 a few years ago. I think he paid A$2000 to have it shipped/imported to Australia. That's another option. However, you likely wouldn't lay eyes on the bike before it shows up. All I had to do was find the right bike, bring it home in Los Angeles and wait for the shipping company to come pick it up. They rolled it up onto the back of a truck in an extremely secure way. I put the various bits in the saddlebag. It took a month or two to make the journey across the ocean, but it worked out great and he's very happy.

With all the nice folks here, I'm sure you could find a few folks to scout bikes for you. If you're interested, I can get the name of the importer for you.

malmac

Post by malmac »

Mal, sorry the first bike didn't work out. Man I can't believe the seller wants that kind of money for a non running bike! Like I said in an earlier post, some people are unbelievable in what they expect to get for BMW bikes.

As for the price of the R75/6, I can't guess but would say depending on condition perhaps $5 to $7K would be fair? Only if it it were running 100% right at the time of sale and a test ride didn't show anything up.

Well in the whole scheme of things he did me a favour. I wont be looking at any bikes from him - given the conditions he sets.
Basically you buy and all the risk is on the buyer and the seller has to disclose nothing.

In Australian dollars the price of the R75/6 is within your price guidelines - so there is a start.
I will follow up on this bike and see where the short comings are. Obviously whatever you buy, there will be a better buy somewhere down the track. But I think a good bike rather than a perfect bike will be just fine.

Thanks for your advice.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

srankin

Post by srankin »

Hey don't be in a hurry, you have some time left in winter yet to find the right bike, or is your winter such you can ride in relative comfort all year around? My friend outside of Melbourne sent a drone picture of snow on the ground near him. He claims it is the coldest winter on record.

Anyway, I do know one thing, you guys in AU tend seem to appreciate the airhead bikes or just appreciate older vehicles in general and unless I am wildly mistaken tend to treat them better and maintain them better than here.

Something nice for the right price will come along and of course after you buy, something nicer will turn up for a better price LOL.

As I have written I am enjoying this thread but alas, my bronchitis has cleared up and I am hoping to get back to spending more time on the bike, outdoors or in the convertible than in front of the computer. Cheers, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

malmac

Post by malmac »

Werner1111 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:53 pm
PS - I actually helped my buddy in Adelaide buy a blue R75/5 toaster here in the US for USD$4500 a few years ago. I think he paid A$2000 to have it shipped/imported to Australia. That's another option. However, you likely wouldn't lay eyes on the bike before it shows up. All I had to do was find the right bike, bring it home in Los Angeles and wait for the shipping company to come pick it up. They rolled it up onto the back of a truck in an extremely secure way. I put the various bits in the saddlebag. It took a month or two to make the journey across the ocean, but it worked out great and he's very happy.

With all the nice folks here, I'm sure you could find a few folks to scout bikes for you. If you're interested, I can get the name of the importer for you.
Werner, this is an interesting idea. I don't think it is one to jump at lightly. So many questions re so many details. I sat down and started a checklist of points to check on each bike I consider. I already have 40 points and really that is just the obvious stuff. In that "real world" so often referred to, I think we sort of circle around a decision, gradually sifting the information and moving stage by stage. So it would be painful to try and do that by remote.

The guy yesterday had the logic.
I have this guy in USA and he only sends me good stuff so therefore it is good, so dont ask for proof.
You might not be surprised to find that it didnt sit well with me.

I guess if there was this absolutely brilliant machine, totally known to the USA buyer and the price was attractive enough to accommodate a few unexpected glitches. Then one would look at it.

I am sure you can see where I am coming from. If I was to consider that I really should consider flying to the US, buying a bike I like and shipping it home.

Would have to do some pretty smart talking to my beloved wife.......
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia