If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

thrust rod broken

schrader7032

Re: thrust rod broken

Post by schrader7032 »

I can't say as I've seen a cut-away transmission to see how the bearing is lubed. I would think that when you have all of the parts out of that tunnel through the transmission, shining a light in there might be instructive.

Anton Largiader has some info on the various arrangements for the clutch pushrod:

http://largiader.com/articles/throwout/
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Okay, you have oil and the clutch assembled correctly. Man, I wish I could look at it with you as it is a mystery. LOL, forgive me I don't take mine apart to check and see what is what to compare to.

Like Kurt, I don't know just how the oil gets to the bearings, I assume it does. LOL, I have never had a transmission spinning on a bike with the boot off and the clutch lever out to see how things do work.

I have talked to Anton regarding other issues, he is pretty nice and helpful. Perhaps a call to him would help? St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

srankin

Post by srankin »

Chatting with my friend at his shop today I mentioned the broken thrust rod issue. The comment was made that inside the transmission there is a system by witch oil is slung around and directed to various parts for lubrication. It is possible one of these paths may be blocked starving the throw out bearings?

OKAY, it is not an expert opinion, and we did not go into great detail but it may be worth investigating. I know oil has to get to that bearing somehow. St.

srankin

Post by srankin »

So, what if anything have you found? St.

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Ok this is not the same transmission, it's a 4 speed R 75/5 box, but it looks to be all splash oiling. The gears on the pilot shaft run in a bath of 75w90 and as they turn they carry the oil with them and it splashes onto the other gears and bearings. The clutch rod runs through that large hole right in the center and it appears to be oiled by splashing through the bearing. The bearing remained in the cover which was removed.

Craig

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

And the photo didn't come through?
Attachments
R75-5 gear box.JPG

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

That photo came through up side down.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

If you click on it, it turns the right way around. And the idler gear is the one in the lower right when the picture is turned rightside up, right?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

With the photo in the correct position, the shaft in the center is the input shaft, The output shaft is the one in the upper right. The shaft in the lower right is the "cluster" gear shaft. It is the shaft that runs in the oil bath, not the input shaft, The cluster gear is in constant mesh with those on the output shaft. The gears on the output shaft spin freely on the shaft and have raised "boss" sections which can engage with holes in the "dogs". The "dogs" slide along splines on the output shaft. The gears are selected by sliding the shifter dogs to engage with the bosses on the appropriate gear.

As I said it appears that all of the oiling is by "splashing" from the cluster gear.

Craig

srankin

Post by srankin »

Have not heard if there has been any more issues with this. Did the problem get solved? St.