If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

thrust rod broken

schrader7032

Re: thrust rod broken

Post by schrader7032 »

vechorik1373 wrote:Repeatedly sitting at stop lights in first gear will accelerate the wear of these components.
Yup! That's how I wore out the clutch bearing on my Firebird early on. I changed my habits after that!!

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

ThompsonJP

Post by ThompsonJP »

Thanks so much, guys. I think I may have done several things wrong that led to this problem. First, when I installed the thrust rod and piston last time I mistakenly put grease on it rather than understand it's bathed in transmission oil. Second, I have often held the clutch lever in at stoplights; I didn't realize this was a no-no. I don't usually do it because it's so damn hard to hold.
Regardless, I'm beginning to install my new parts and will take all this advice to heart.
JPT

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, not to be a pain but I have been holding the clutches in on my bikes/cars/trucks forever. On my 84 R80RT since new in 84 and 230K miles, I am still using the original thrust rod, piston and parts from new. Yes, I have changed the clutch a few times over the years but never the rod or parts.

My RS has 50K on it and same thing, I have yet to replace a clutch on it so maybe when I do it will need replacement parts.

I won't be changing my habit anytime soon, I don't like sitting at a traffic light in neutral, never had never will. Maybe tomorrow my system will destruct due to my abuse, who knows.

Seriously, I don't think the grease would cause a problem, but I would not bet on it. I say that because hot gear oil might just wash the grease off the parts over time.

Like Vech said, maybe the parts were damaged before reassembly? As I suggest, maybe the felt was out of place and it was starved for oil. Yours is the first example I personally have heard of.

This time you got it right and proper and won't have to worry just ride. Enjoy the ride! St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

ThompsonJP

Post by ThompsonJP »

And the saga continues.
I got my clutch put back together and things were working fine. Then I started to get too much play in the clutch so I readjusted it at least three times - the last time today using the Cutter method. I was test riding and things were working great until I stopped at a light and held the lever in.
Then I heard a pop or crack and the clutch lever went slack and I pushed it the few blocks home. I removed the clutch arm assembly, piston, etc. The attached photo shows what's left of the needle bearing. When I had installed it I didn't grease it because I understood it gets bathed in transmission oil. I don't think that's happening. Also, I replaced the felt when I installed the new thrust rod.
I know I need a new bearing, but I suspect there's more going on here.
Attachments
IMG_20220708_211820378.jpg
IMG_20220708_212553515.jpg
JPT

srankin

Post by srankin »

There certainly is something going wrong to have one of these break is rare to have two break is beyond reason.

Where are you located at, it may be time to have another pair of eyes check things out during work?

I don't like being unnecessarily rude but you need to think about what is the last thing you did or how are you assembling this.

Did the bearings look dry? It is hard to tell from here looking at a picture. Perhaps you have installed items in the wrong order? Again, maybe there is something out of place you can't see?

If you are near me, I would be happy to help or I know someone who has an independent shop who is airhead only. Meanwhile, I will think about it and wish you luck. I am sure Kurt and perhaps Vech will write with better ideas as to what to do. St.

srankin

Post by srankin »

This is the microfiche image I have for the unit does it look familiar? St.

B0000505.png

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

While initial greasing is not right...at least heavy grease...you should bathe the bearing in gear oil so it has something to work with until the transmission oil splash can take over.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

ThompsonJP

Post by ThompsonJP »

I followed that very diagram when installing and that's how everything came out. I can't help think there is some blockage or something in my transmission that is keeping the gear oil from reaching the bearing. When I pulled out the bearing two weeks ago to replace the rod, it had the grease on it I had put there long ago. It had not washed off from the gear oil splashing on it.
I may try pull the rod out once I get a new bearing, get a look in there and carefully reassemble it. Then I'll ride for a short bit, remove the whole mess and see what's going on.
I can't figure out how if the thrust rod has the felt on it that fits snugly into a tight passage how the gear oil is supposed to get to the bearing in that short space before the piston seal. The fiche diagrams don't help much.
JPT

srankin

Post by srankin »

Again, not to be rude but double check the oil level in your transmission. It should be filled to where it is running out of the fill plug somewhere around 900mls.

I feel for you, it is not an easy spot to check and get at to work on.

I can't think of anything that would block oil to the bearing internal in the transmission. My friend who builds transmissions is on vacation this week or I would ask him about it.

LOL, sorry, but you are sure you have the clutch pack assembled correctly? I know, I hate to keep at it but sometimes in my repairs I find out the hard way the last thing I did was wrong and I have to repair it. Just saying that because I don't turn wrenches full time on airheads so when I do a major job, it is almost like doing it again for the first time.

Good luck. St.

ThompsonJP

Post by ThompsonJP »

I sometimes create more problems than I solve when working on this bike. I did put the clutch pack in correctly and had oil dribbling out of the transmission before I plugged it.
I removed the rear wheel because I need a new tire, but it also let me get a better look at what's going on. I've attached a photo. Again, I can't see how the bearing gets lubed. I installed the thrust rod when the transmission was off the bike so I know it's inserted far enough.
IMG_20220709_111152591.jpg
JPT