If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

'85 R80 RT won't start

schrader7032

Re: '85 R80 RT won't start

Post by schrader7032 »

Glad you found the answer! I wonder if just renewing the dried up heat sink paste on the original unit might have solved the problem. You might hold on to the old unit as a spare just in case.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I am very happy you found the problem. While it was not a simple thing like corrosion in the switches, at least you didn't replace the module and find out the problem was corrosion in the switches, LOL.

Kurt may be right. also, I thought Snowbum wrote a test procedure for the ignition module somewhere?

I just ordered a testers from Flat Racer and am waiting for it to arrive. I am lucky I have never had a problem with the electronic ignition itself only a bad ground or something that drove me nuts trying to find for two years. LOL, I traced every wire, switch and swapped out parts only to never find the smoking gun and everything started working fine and has been.

So in my case a tiny ground problem or something like it caused major failure while riding. LOL, thank goodness I had spares on hand to swap out or I would have been up the creek for new part prices. Enjoy the riding it is time to do that and not repair. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

spo123

Post by spo123 »

You MAY have one of the "Crack-O-Matic" Coils.
IF, the problem returns, especially when DAMP or WET......something to check.
As I have an older Airhead, I am unsure if the flawed coil is grey or green.
spo123 '73 LWB R75/5