If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/5 timing

toolmandoug

R60/5 timing

Post by toolmandoug »

I have to time my R60/5 at “F” mark at idle. Flywheel is bolted to the crank in the correct position. If timed at the S position it will back fire and the plugs will be black. Can anyone tell me the position of the flat of the D on the advance when flywheel is at the OT position?

schrader7032

Re: R60/5 timing

Post by schrader7032 »

I can't tell you the position of the advance, but have you confirmed that the pistons are all the way out when the timing mark is at TDC? Could it be that the flywheel is installed one hole off?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

toolmandoug

Post by toolmandoug »

Pistons are all the way out at OT mark. Move the crank a few degrees either way and piston moves in. I just wanted to confirm that the cam is timed correctly to the crank. I had the front cover off a while back but never thought to check the timing. Bike runs good, no knock, but a little lazy coming up to speed. It had a rough life in the past and this is one item I’m still sorting out.

jimcarrr100rs

Post by jimcarrr100rs »

Have you tried static timing? I had my Snap On timing light start doing strange things with timing so I bought a used one from a pawn shop and it works a lot better.
77 & 83 R100RS, 56 R69, 74 R90/6

jimcarrr100rs

Post by jimcarrr100rs »

Another thing would be if for some strange reason the cam timing is off take the valve cover off and watch the valve rockers. They should be just even at OT on the exhaust stroke.
77 & 83 R100RS, 56 R69, 74 R90/6

Randolph

Post by Randolph »

Use the "S" mark at idle for cursory static timing only.
Final timing of the bike should be done with the "F" mark at full advance around 3 to 4K RPM.
Use a separate 12V battery to power the strobe light to get a more even light pulse.

Randy

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Doug:
Try pulling the plugs and setting them on the jugs with the wires attached. Put the ignition on and turn the engine with an allen wrench on the alternator bolt. Turn slowly and stop when the plugs fire. Then check the timing mark in the window. Adjust the point plate so they fire at S. See how that works out.

Craig

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Just to be clear, make sure the plug threads are touching the engine fins...that is the path to ground and is important.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

toolmandoug

Post by toolmandoug »

Thanks for all the replies. I have a IBA ride this weekend, will try static timing method and post results after ride.
Doug

toolmandoug

Post by toolmandoug »

So I did a little more digging and this is what I found. I have a dyna III ignition system and made a new mounting bracket for the control module. Upon reassembly, I hooked up the power wire to the ignition system on the wrong side of the coil. It now is not lazy on take off. Valves are are parallel to the head when flywheel is at the OT mark. Still has to be timed at idle at the F mark. F mark disappears when idle is raised, so advance is working. Machine runs really well with no knock or plinking. I’m leaving it as is unless someone has another idea. Thanks for everyone’s input.