If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

San Jose fork brace for an ‘83 R100

SDCR

Re: San Jose fork brace for an ‘83 R100

Post by SDCR »

Well, you guys have given me something to ponder.
Maybe I’ll just use the $$ to buy some premium, and go for a ride:)
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, yeah a tank full is a bit costly now.

To be honest, if the bike you have rides fine and handles fine without this stuff, maybe you don't need it and if you do install it, you might not feel any improvement. So saving the money or using it for something else makes sense.

In my personal case with the two bikes I have, I do notice the difference before and after installing the upper triple clamp and the fork brace. Not that I am a Ricky Road racer, I just ride a lot and brisk. If say I rode slower, on good roads and put fewer miles on per year, I might have wasted money on the upgrades because the improvement in handling would have been beyond the level I would be riding at. LOL, quite frankly I am riding less and a bit slower these days, I might be hard pressed to tell a stock bike's handling from one upgraded.

Stock airheads in good mechanical shape are pretty good handling bikes for what they were designed to do and the era they were built. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

St,
You make very good points, regarding whether to try to improve on something, that is working well already. I only asked about thisdamper, because it popped up on an auction site, and I am so pleased with this R100, that I would not mind splurging on it. But, the bike is running fine, has Progressive shocks, progressive fork springs, quality tires, good steering bearings etc.

I’ve been away from BMW airheads for over 30 years, last one was a 1981 silver smoke RS. At the time, I was young and stupid, and could not appreciate that bikes simple virtues and attributes. I just wanted speed.

So now, after resurrecting this long sleeping machine, I find that my R100 is a very satisfying ride.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

One of the fellows who frequent my local airhead shop has a 81 Silver RS, LOL, just saw him Thursday having minor work done on it. A fine bike indeed. At least then, BMW got rid of the ATE brakes and went to the Brembos, also the electronic ignition.

Lots of times I look at the un faired R100 bikes and think of adding one more bike to the mix for hot weather riding. No fairing to block the wind, lol. St.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

srankin wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:37 am
......Lots of times I look at the un faired R100 bikes and think of adding one more bike to the mix for hot weather riding. No fairing to block the wind, lol. St.I
Although my ‘83 was built as a un-faired machine, I think that the original selling dealer added a color matched BMW S fairing, including the clock and gage.
I’ve ridden this bike in fairly hot weather, like 85 degrees, and found that there is enough air moving above the shield, and around the front of the bike, that it gives good air movement. I like the overall look of the bike with the fairing, almost looks like the R100S.
Last edited by SDCR on Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, I have a RT and RS, you know the airflow of an RS in hot weather, the RT has a bit less. Yes, I could go for an S bike, I did have two R90S project bikes I worked on for a bit years ago. Got one together and could not sell it, it and the other finally got sold. I never did ride them. St.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

IIRC Snowbum mentioned that he thought the biggest bang for the buck, and something that made a difference, was the top triple tree. OK, so ToasterTan doesn't make one. Hmmm...San Jose made one which was my initial thought to the original post. I remember someone (Snowbum?) saying that an R65 top plate is thicker and would work. Not sure of any model limitations.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Kurt, I think Toaster Tan calls their upper triple plate a "standard" plate. However, it is thicker than the stamped steel plate that is OM on BMW.

I can't tell in the product picture on their website how much different it is compared to the one San Jose sells. It would be interesting to see exactly what the differences between the two companies units.

Brook installed a Toaster Tan unit on the 83 R100 he restored and converted from a RS to RT. He paired it with the Toaster Tan improved stem nut. St.

spo123

Post by spo123 »

That fork brace is an older unit, most likely no longer in production.
While resembling a Telefix brace, it is different.
spo123 '73 LWB R75/5