If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Steering dampers

SDCR

Steering dampers

Post by SDCR »

My recently acquired 1983 R100, does not have a friction dampener, mounted in the top triple clamp. It appears that this is how it came from the factory.

So, I am wondering what the BMW engineers had in mind with other versions of the R100’s, like the RS version, and the earlier R90 S, which came with the friction dampener. It seems that the basic frame structure is the same, for all models, but some have the dampener, others don’t.

Thoughts...
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Re: Steering dampers

Post by srankin »

LOL, forgive me if my description is off a bit.

BMW for at least the /6 and /7 year bikes used a hydraulic style steering damper mounted from frame to lower triple tree yoke. This unit had thee positions which could be selected by a knob mounted on top of the main steering bearing nut. A rod extended down through the steering head nut to the damper unit.

There is a lot of controversy as to the need/how well this system or for that matter dampers are needed/needed.

I know I use mine rarely, mainly on rough roads or high winds and when in good shape they work well. The shock absorber part of the system is the weak link and I have had a couple of mine go bad and need replacement over the years. Sadly, there is no warning when they go bad, LOL, at least sometimes shock absorbers will leak giving a clue, in my case the damper didn't it just quit working.

It is very likely you bike has all the mounting holes and such if you want to install a unit however the damper is a bit pricy and used ones are suspect. St.
B0000583.png
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

St.,
yes, that is the one that I meant to describe, the friction damper. I see them on many BMW R bikes of the early 80’s, as mentioned the RS, CS and S models, but my “ basic” R100, or T, doesn’t have a friction damper. One of the reasons that I’ve been curious about this factory omission, is that my bike tracks very well, at any speed up to about 90mph. I say 90, because that is about what I think I’ve topped mine. Not a hint of a wobble or shake. At speeds down around fifty, I can take my hands off the bars, with no ill effect. I wonder if the lack of the damper, was just a cost cutting measure for the base R100.

srankin wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:55 am
LOL, forgive me if my description is off a bit.

BMW for at least the /6 and /7 year bikes used a hydraulic style steering damper mounted from frame to lower triple tree yoke. This unit had thee positions which could be selected by a knob mounted on top of the main steering bearing nut. A rod extended down through the steering head nut to the damper unit.

There is a lot of controversy as to the need/how well this system or for that matter dampers are needed/needed.

I know I use mine rarely, mainly on rough roads or high winds and when in good shape they work well. The shock absorber part of the system is the weak link and I have had a couple of mine go bad and need replacement over the years. Sadly, there is no warning when they go bad, LOL, at least sometimes shock absorbers will leak giving a clue, in my case the damper didn't it just quit working.

It is very likely you bike has all the mounting holes and such if you want to install a unit however the damper is a bit pricy and used ones are suspect. St.

B0000583.png
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

In all honesty, I have found if steering head bearings are in good well lubricated condition, adjusted properly, and the bike is loaded with rider, gear, and luggage properly, there is no need for a damper to be used. The damper should not be used in place of proper bike setup and maintenance. Airheads are pretty darned stable at all speeds and if there is problems with wobble or instability, it is due to mechanical issues that should be corrected not dampened.

BMW may well have decided to cut costs by not including the damper on your particular run of bikes, LOL, they won't tell.

As I wrote, I rarely use my dampers on my RT and RS, more so on the RS because of the low, narrow bars it can be interesting handling on rough unpaved roads or even rough roads. Ha, even that is rare.

I guess I have the dampers and on occasion need to justify their existence, so I use them from time to time. Pressed on the issue, I would say I could take them off and would never miss them.

Have a good ride. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS