If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R65 saddlebags

Caferacer

R65 saddlebags

Post by Caferacer »

I am trying to learn what fits what, when it comes to the OEM style square hard luggage for the 1970 and later air cooled boxer twins, Krauser I think they are called, I just got an early twin shock R65, and would like to get a set for it, however it appears there are different mounting brackets for the R65 that are not the same as the larger bikes, and another style for the later mono shock models,
questions, are early short tail /5 and later longtail mounts the same?
if not, are early short tail /5 and R65 mounts the same?
are all the hard bags the same from 1970 up to the 1990s ?
just trying to figure out what to get, and what NOT to get
thanks for any info Will

srankin

Re: R65 saddlebags

Post by srankin »

I can't give you a straight answer regarding the difference in mounting brackets between the R65 and the bigger bikes.

The company Boxer two Valve has bags for your bike.
https://www.boxer2valve.com/46-luggage.html. I am not sure about their rack selection.

Motobins in the UK carries racks. I am not sure about the bag selection. https://www.motobins.co.uk/
Racks and bags from a twin shock will not interchange with mono shock bikes. Hope this helps a bit. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

My 1971 R75/5 has top opening hard plastic saddlebags with an amorphous rounded box shape. They have to be emptied in order to remove them. The same as the 1972 bike that I bought new back in the day. My 1975 R90/6 has suitcase style opening rectangular shaped bags which are easily removable. The mounting brackets are also very different. I'm trying to attach pictures to show the difference.

Craig
Attachments
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2498.JPG

Caferacer

Post by Caferacer »

the R90 has the style bags I have seen, and what I was referring to
the rounder ones I thought were a newer style, I have not seen them on earlier bikes,
I have seen two type of square bags, suitcase style I call them, the ones on your R90 (they are the style I prefer) and a second design with different latches, and red reflectors, (my second choice)
but I still don't know if both square suitcase style bags use the same mounting brackets
I did find an old Capital cycle catalog, and it listed the same part number for early short tale /5 bikes, and later R65 mounting brackets, so that may answer that question,

srankin

Post by srankin »

Not to put a fly in the ointment but, if you are going to buy racks and bags I would suggest you find a shop to buy from where you can talk directly to them to assure you are getting the proper fitment.

Sadly my friend at his airhead shop is dealing with an R65 situation where Hepco Becker bags and racks were purchased and the racks are not fitting properly. While the companies involved are working to solve the issue, my friend and I are wonder how much of the problem is due to the difference between the R65 bikes and it's bigger brothers?

Good luck with what ever system you choose, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Caferacer

Post by Caferacer »

there are two different R65 racks, an early twin shock set for 1978 to 1984,
and a later mono shock set for 1985 and up,
I did find a set of used racks for my 1980 twin shock, and they fit fine,
I also found a set of the square bags that use the seatbelt style latch
now I need to find the flat plates that bolt to the rack and lock the bags on

if your friend needs a set of early twin shock R65 racks, the person I got mine from
has an additional set that are NOS in the SE PA area. they are black painted not chrome if that matters