If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

BMW paint code 559 mystery

SDCR

BMW paint code 559 mystery

Post by SDCR »

I found the paint code sticker, #559, on the top of my rear fender, the usual spot. Checked Snobums paint site, which indicates the color to be POLARIS. A correct color for a 1983 R100. But, my 1983 R100 is a metallic black, which appears to be the same color as the earlier R100 CS. I guess the rear fender may have been changed, or, the bike had been repainted at some point. However, I’ve been going over this bike for the past month ( barn find), and cannot find any tell tale signs of a color change. All of the paint under the tank, around the side covers etc., appears to be “ factory”. Color me mystified.

This also brings me to the question of obtaining the correct metallic Black color code, or touch up.
It seems that BMW has several “ Black “ colors. Anyone have a source for the getting the right shade of touch up paint?
Attachments
A5D869E3-BEFC-4E9F-BA63-EA8327A8F42B.jpeg
1983 R100
2000 R1100

weh8127

Re: BMW paint code 559 mystery

Post by weh8127 »

A body shop can match the color it is now which is what you want for touch up. If the paint is faded or not standard to begin with its not what you want for a respray.
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Andy Schwietzer's book Vol 1 Boxer from /5 shows two colors for the R100 in 1983 - schwarz (519) and polarismetallic (559).
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Thanks, I may go that route. I have a professional paint supply house nearby, and they did a nice match for my old Dakar Yellow K75S, which needed some touch up for the underside of a fuel tank repair.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

The number on the fender is not the "paint" code but is the "finish" code. The finish code was the combo of paint color and pinstripe color. Check here to see if the paint code is listed. Or, as you said, Snowbum's site. St.

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes/blacks.htm

As mentioned a good paint supply shop can match paint from a tank or panel and get a dang good match. However, the paint on the surface many times fades with time so a new paint matched may not be the same exact match as the original paint.

if you remove the BMW emblems on the gas tank, this may be the best place to get a good match of original paint color to use the paint shop match method.

So as an example, my 78 RS had the paint code on the fender, I looked up the paint code from this code and found the paint to make the bike the original color. LOL, what I have now is far from the original red the bike was shot with when new, it has faded quite a bit in the years. This winter I will be doing a new paint job as there are a lot of scratches and wear on the pinstripe. This time, I will use the BMW paint code to get the right shade of red. (Oh the current paint job was done after a major rebuild from an accident and I used the paint shop match method from the gas tank.). St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Thanks for that link. The column that indicates “ scheme” is the combination of paints needed? Or, is that including the pinstripe paint?

The paint on my bike appears to be original, with original painted pinstripes. Since it has held up very well for 39 years, and just has a few road chips, I’d like to just “ touch it up.” So, once I have this sorted, I plan to take a the best panel to the paint shop, and get a mix.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

My understanding is the scheme is the color paint and color of the pinstripe combined. The paint code should match if you can find it in an auto paint store the color of the main paint.

Glasurit who made the paint is still in business and if you have a shop that sells it, they should be able to use the paint code to get you a match. But, as I said, paint does fade with time so a gas tank with chips in it touched up with the proper paint bought strictly by the code number might stick out like a sore thumb because it will be darker.

In all honesty, unless you are going to paint the whole bike, don't bother with the code, find a shop that can match a sample of what you have where you want to paint. Don't even bother matching the parts covered by the emblems because the new paint will not match.

Yep, it is a dilemma sometime to partly paint any kind of vehicle to blend in paint new with old. Best advice is to ride the the chips and scratches for a bit and if you really love the bike, in the winter, paint everything with new proper paint. Or, touch up the spots and don't be too dismayed if they don't match exactly. Now, I know, there are paint guys out there in every town who can do airbrushing and make things look great, trouble is finding them. Shoot it is hard to find anyone who wants to paint BMW bikes. My last painter did my whole RT and told me next time, he would charge a lot more, too many pieces of odd shapes and curves that had to be done by hand, more time in a bike than a car.

I have two lowers for my RS I would like to have painted because I am installing engine guard bars and they needed to have the holes cut out. I am hoping my last paint guy will paint them for me.
Yeah, long winded, but I try to help. St.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Thanks.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

Sorry, sometimes I get carried away. Good luck, St.

jamewilon22

Post by jamewilon22 »

I am really glad to see such amazing bikes at this forum by BMW.