If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

heated grips suggestion

ThompsonJP

heated grips suggestion

Post by ThompsonJP »

Hi, I have a 1974 R90/6 with 75,000 miles on it and I'm interested in adding heated grips. The bike has old ones that I've been told by a mechanic probably won't work well. There is no switch and he tested the wiring.
My question is does anyone have a recommendation for a modern heated grip system that works well with this bike. I'm concerned about them pulling too much power or causing some other problem. I also want them to work well, of course.
Thanks
JPT

schrader7032

Re: heated grips suggestion

Post by schrader7032 »

No direct experience, but Rider's Warehouse usually has well thought-out equipment.

https://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b/heated-grip-kit.html
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I think the original BMW grips are still available, they work well and don't draw too much for the charging system to handle. I never had a problem with my two bike's charging system until I started adding extra heated clothing and lights.

As for the switch, you don't have to use the factory switch, depending upon how you wire the system, you can use any switch as long as it will handle the current flow or put in a relay into the system. The factory grips don't have a relay or extra fuses in the system, just a simple on and off switch.

On my RS, I could not fit the Factory switch similar to the Factory switch on my RT. I just purchased a universal switch and it works fine.

As I said, I think the parts are available, but, if not, they are not hard to wire up using wire and OM stuff.

Oh, the right grip I last bought had the gear for the throttle assembly so when you change the grip, it may be a good time to change the throttle cam for the cables. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Raz

Post by Raz »

OEM heated grips are available (P/Ns 61 31 1 243 978 & 61 31 1 243 979). They are absolutely the best choice. Not cheap, but worth it. I second the recommendation of replacing the throttle cable gear at the same time (P/N 32 72 1 233 535).

The OEM heated grip switch has 3 positions: OFF, cold, and 2nd-degree burns.

I replaced it with a heat-troller, not cheap either but absolutely worth it.

Ras