If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just keep finding problems

Kidasters

Just keep finding problems

Post by Kidasters »

It's unreal.

Since I have the swingarm out, and I'm cleaning up the rear-wheel. While doing that, I noticed the "driving dog" was wiggling. A closer look - one rivet is broken, several appear stretched.

Anyone ever re-rivet this part back on? Looks like both the rivets and dog are both still available.

Please let me know.
What do you mean "next" project?

--My wife

schrader7032

Re: Just keep finding problems

Post by schrader7032 »

A bit of a discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13905&p=6050
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Kidasters

Post by Kidasters »

Thanks - that helps.

I ordered a new dog - since I plan on grinding all the rivets from the dog side knocking them out. I ordered the rivets too, but may see about doing a bolt in option. We'll see.

Thanks for the link. The reality is - this bike was ridden harder than I thought. Damn. Hopefully, this is the worst of it.

--My wife

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have had a few drive dogs or final drive splines replaced. They have always been sent out to a shop that specializes in just that. sorry, I don't know the name of the shop because my friend at his airhead shop sends them out. Max BMW replaces splines as does Boxer two valve. A further search I am sure will turn up more shops.

I have NEVER attempted to do the job myself as I don't have the proper tools and won't risk using improper tools and making a hash out of the job causing further damage down the road. Labor cost was not terribly high nor shipping for the trouble it saved me to have it done.

I didn't read Oak's writing on the subject, nor snowbum's so I won't comment on them. BMW designed the system with rivets and I go with the original design parameters.

Sadly, you have what I call PO or previous owner disease. A bike new to you that the previous owner abused, messed with or just neglected and now you get the problems and bill. Sorry, to have it happen to you, an Airhead BMW can be a joy to own and ride. They can also be a money pit.

Texas is just a bit too far for me to offer you help or garage space and such. Sorry, good luck, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Kidasters

Post by Kidasters »

Ha. No worries. I'm not new to old vehicles, so I get how this happens. PO abuses, I fix. My R90/6 had all kinds of issues that it took me years to get sorted, but now that most of them are, it's a lovely bike. This one will be too - it's just going to take longer to get there.

It's disappointing, because I paid more for this bike than I should have, but it happens. I thought I paid too much for the R90, but now it's lovely. Besides, I don't do it for the money, I do it because I like taking something and making it better.

It's just really disappointing sometimes.

--My wife

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

How does one align or true the final drive dogs to the wheel? Seems like that would be important. I has to be centered on the wheel and the new dogs won't have the same wear pattern.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, you have the right attitude for dealing with PO disease.

Yeah, I know the drill about buying a bike with problems not disclosed. I call my RS the soiled dove as she was very pretty when I bought her but had a lot of hidden faults. Like you, I enjoy restoring things (to a degree) and spent the time labour and money on the RS to where I have a very good bike. It was worth the effort only as I planned to keep the bike and not flip sell it. LOL, I would have lost money on the file sale. St.

Kidasters

Post by Kidasters »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:13 am
How does one align or true the final drive dogs to the wheel? Seems like that would be important. I has to be centered on the wheel and the new dogs won't have the same wear pattern.
It's a good question. I would think if the wheel is true, and a new dog is used, it should be OK. Part of the reason I ordered a new dog, besides being worried about tooth wear on the old one. I mean, if it was abused enough to bend/break rivets - what else is bad?

--My wife

srankin

Post by srankin »

What does the spline inside the wheel look like? Replacing only one spline side or the final drive spline without doing the wheel could cause you problems down the road.

If the splines you are replacing were new and they were installed incorrectly causing the rivets to break is one thing. Wear and tear is another, it is not wise to replace just one half. I have ALWAYS replaced both male and female units at the same time.

Without seeing the parts and examining them I can't say much more. Pictures help sometimes.

Since I have never done the job, I am only guessing that when the rivets are installed, the units will "center" themselves. St.

Kidasters

Post by Kidasters »

Fair point. Let me get the wheel sorted first, and then I will take a look at the final drive.

The good news - today hunting in the parts box, I found the output flange removal tool for the transmission. Watched two YouTube videos, and then decided to tackle the job myself. Was able to get the old cover off and new cover on. Very happy.

--My wife