If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Wiring questions for /6.

wbmoore

Wiring questions for /6.

Post by wbmoore »

Does anybody know what American wire gauges correspond to: .75, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5 as seen on my /6 wiring diagram ?

Also, is there a source for raw wire in the correct diameters and colors ? There is a business called British Wiring which has some of the color combinations that are probably the right sizes. Does anyone know of a similar source for BMW wire ?

Doing some modifications and repairs on a 1976 R90/6. I’m trying to stick to correct colors.

Thanks.
Brad Moore
1960 R69; 1975 Norton MKIII; 1976 R90/6; 1992 K75S; 2000 Hayabusa
Big Bar, Northern California

schrader7032

Re: Wiring questions for /6.

Post by schrader7032 »

The numbers in the BMW wiring diagrams are for mm-squared. You should be able to find many cross references...here's one:

https://www.carreracasting.com/charts/wire-gauge

As for sources, I'm not sure right off, but I'm sure that anything you can find for the older VWs will be the right colors and sizes. Maybe Euromoto Electrics has the proper stuff...they say multiple color options.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/1615.htm

Nerdy Mr. Snowbum, who started off as a young kid getting into electronics, has a detailed page on wiring for BMWs:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/wires&codes.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

wbmoore

Post by wbmoore »

Kurt…..perfect. Thanks.
Brad Moore
1960 R69; 1975 Norton MKIII; 1976 R90/6; 1992 K75S; 2000 Hayabusa
Big Bar, Northern California

willstone

Post by willstone »

I have gotten wire from www.4rcustomswire.com They will sell short pieces and have just about all the color and stripe configurations you might need. The only difference between these wires and BMW's is that the stripes spiral around the wire actually making it easier to see the stripe.

Carott

Post by Carott »

wbmoore,
After reading a lot of Snowbum and others I settled on 16 AWG wire for most wiring repairs and additions on my bikes. I bought small rolls of the basic colours (black, red, white, blue, green and yellow) and used short pieces of coloured shrink tube placed on each end of the wire to identify the stripe colour. This worked very well to keep true to the original colour coding for future diagnostics. The only snag in my system so far has been that BMW used grey coloured wire and I couldn't find any locally. As a workaround I used a 6" long piece of grey shrink tube on each end with a small band of coloured shrink over that to identify the stripe.
Brett

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Brett;

I applaud your clever solution.

Craig

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

I've bought inexpensive, used BMW motorcycle wiring harnesses on eBay, in decent condition. When I need a specific color, I can just snip some off.
R69 R90/6 R100/7 R100S R1150GSA S2R1000

cwf

Post by cwf »

I took the wiring loom out of a scrapyard VW Golf about 40 years ago and I'm still using it.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

Raz

Post by Raz »

I have been ordering from Rhode Island Wiring Service for years (http://www.riwire.com/).

Their prices are good, they have a very wide choice of DIN automotive wiring colors (not all, though).

They need to be called for an order to be placed. That works for me.

As a bonus, they sell PVC sheathing, which allows harnesses to be made.

There was another mail order house, in Florida, with real metric wire imported from Europe, in all proper colors, a tad more expensive than RI Wiring. However, I can't find them any more.

Raz