If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Clutch cable slack

ThompsonJP

Clutch cable slack

Post by ThompsonJP »

I have a 1974 R90/6 with 74,000 miles on it. I searched the forum topics and found one that was similar to my question but not exact. Here is what's going on.
A few months ago I had a new back plate put on my transmission. When I reinstalled it, I forgot to put the release bearing needle cage back in. So, the clutch worked fine but no doubt things were grinding away in there.
Just to a couple weeks ago, I noticed my clutch lever play getting more slack. I thought it might be the cable getting ready to fail so I replaced it. There was still too much play. That's with the barrel adjuster all the way out and the actuator arm adjusted properly. Today, it's way slack even after I notched a couple washers and inserted them to push the cable back from the stop to lengthen the whole thing.
What could be causing all this slack? I had the clutch rebuilt by Southland Clutch in 2018, but I don't remember if I got a new pressure plate in the deal.
Any insights before I pull the transmission would be appreciated. Did I mention I hate pulling the transmission and clutch?
JPT

srankin

Re: Clutch cable slack

Post by srankin »

Did you install the bearings, correct your assembly mistake? If not, the problem could be caused by wear in the clutch mechanism parts.

Personally, I would source new parts and make repairs now before more damage is done regardless of the trouble of pulling the transmission. Taking the time to do it now will save possible damage and trouble down the road. Worst case scenario is the clutch actuation piston starts to gall or grind and bits of metal get into the transmission itself. Then, not only would you have to pull it, you would have to open it. Just saying, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

ThompsonJP

Post by ThompsonJP »

I did reinstall the bearings and double check the assembly. However, it was running without the bearing for more than a month. I'm hoping there is no metal shavings in the transmission as I think that area is isolated from the transmission itself.
JPT

srankin

Post by srankin »

Next time you change the oil in the transmission, take a good look at the plug and the oil. Bad metal shavings will stick to the magnet.

Not to be a wise guy but if the mechanism is fine, and the clutch is working fine with no slipping, maybe you have the wrong cable? I think the part number is in white lettering on the cable. Checking a microfiche, such as Max BMW, will give you the correct part number for your bike. Be aware sometimes there is more than one cable available for a certain year bike and the only way to assure the proper fit is to use the serial number plus the year. St.

ThompsonJP

Post by ThompsonJP »

As is the case with many of my mechanical issues, this one was of my own doing. I simply hadn't adjusted the clutch cable properly. There's a surprising number of views out there on how to do that. I found one that works. Clutch and cable are doing their job well.
Thanks
JPT

srankin

Post by srankin »

Hey good deal! LOL, You solved the problem and learned something new that works. Thanks for following up with a result, it makes it worth answering the posts when people do. Enjoy the riding now. St.