If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

I need sympathy

chrishea

Re: I need sympathy

Post by chrishea »

From the photos, the crank journals look scored. They really should be almost a “mirror” finish. This is usually caused by one thing: oil starvation; often caused by misassembling the oil filter components.

I have to ask for the benefit of others, the thread started out with this occurring on a shakedown ride. Do you know the bike’s history? What work was done prior to the shakedown ride?
Chris
Seattle

Armand

Post by Armand »

The bike has 60 k miles on it. It sat on a porch for several years partially covered. I hate to see orphaned bikes….. I took the heads and jugs off and they looked good enough for me. I changed all the fluids and a new oil filter. I have read about the 3000$ gasket, but it doesn’t seem to apply to 1975s. Am I wrong here? It ran so nice, that I sold my Harley shovelhead
I probably put 40 miles on it including ez highway runs. I finally got plates and took it on the demise ride
I now have it apart and am about to pull the transmission to pull the engine. I guess the plan is to bring or ship it to somebody to see if the crank can be reconditioned. I only plan to do this once in my life so the costof the special tools make it worth someone to do it. This is a new area for me so any advice is appreciated!

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

You're correct...the pre /7 bikes had more of a bullet-proof filter setup. Hopefully yours was set up correctly and that the pressure relief system at the base of the filter cavity was operational. I don't recall the specifics when things went south, but the oil pressure switch alerts for low oil pressure. If it's working correctly and you see it come on while running down the road at speed, I don't think you can shut the engine down fast enough...probably would have been cooked at that point anyway.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Kurt is right about the oil filter on your bike, they were pretty much bullet proof unlike the $%^% ones I have on my two bikes.

My old dealer from many years back and I discussed my installing an oil pressure gauge on my new to me bike instead of the clock and voltmeter. His comment was, by the time you notice the drop of pressure on the gauge and the oil warning light comes on, the damage will most likely be done. With a clock, you will always know the time and the voltage meter will give you a good indication of how the charging system is working even if the charge light does not come on.

Sadly, a bike that sat partly covered could have had a lot of internal damage due to water. Sorry you are the one to get the short end of the stick. Before you start sending parts out and spending money, take a deep breath and ask yourself what do you want to do with the bike? BMW bikes don't always bring big prices and it does not take long to rack up major bills much higher than what you can buy a very good used one for. LOL, I know this as a fact as I have two bikes that have been pampered and rebuilt over their lives to a cost way more than the book value or market value. I am crazy in that I get a kick out of keeping my first new to me BMW running after 37 years and 240k plus miles and my other soiled dove whom I fell in love with and is a limited edition bike. Sentimental only goes so far, I have gone over the limit. I would not do it for any other two bikes.

Anyway, that is my two cents, I know a lot of people love restoring bikes and I understand that feeling. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Armand

Post by Armand »

St. I am wondering when I will turn off the money spigot. The cost of replacing or re doing the crank will be a determining factor. For me, my labor doesn’t figure in to it as I enjoy it. Onward through the fog!

Armand

Post by Armand »

Also, I do have a oil pressure light w a new sensor. I did not notice the flickering or turning on until I stopped

srankin

Post by srankin »

Hey Armand, yeah, it is hard to turn off the money sometimes. I never figure my labor into a project, if I did on my two bikes, I would figure their cost to keep running and looking new would be about the same as a brand new Rolls Royce, well maybe not but at least a Brand new bike or more.

I can see putting money into a bike as long as I am going to keep riding it. It is a flip job (which I have never done) that would raise the issue of rebuild cost or not even. a flip job, a restoration job. I restored an R90S years ago and found I had two K in parts more then what the middle price on the market for R90S bikes was.

I honestly can't restore a bike and expect to sell it a premium price as I am NOT a reputable restoration shop nor even a hyper critical one off restorer. I am just an average guy so most I would get would be average price. It would kill me to restore a bike for someone, charge and get a high price only for the new owner to have a problem or find he could have done better. But that is me. Not selling bikes for a profit is fine with me. Not that I have any bikes anymore to sell, LOL. St.

Armand

Post by Armand »

St , I see you are in spencerport, (I’m in Binghamton). Do you have a good airhead guy up your way?

srankin

Post by srankin »

Yes I do, he is a hobby shop so a one man band. After the dealer closed in the 90's due to BMW moving to boutique dealerships, his mechanic John moved around the corner and opened the Beemer Barn to work on airhead bikes. John ran the shop for many years until his health failed and he then sold to Glenn. Glenn is retired and is running the shop now. He is a very good guy to deal with, honest, reasonable for costs, fair. Now, he is not in Rochester area but out in Niagara County in a little town called Johnson's Creek. So from Binghamton, it will be a drive. Here is his phone number;716 735 3458.

He is a good friend so I won't say much except it is a hobby for him. LOL, I had him do the rebuild of my 78 RS, he does the stuff I am too lazy to do or don't feel like doing myself. He has worked with another shop called Airhead Restorations. Together they have restored some very nice /2 bikes.

Anyway, Cheers, St.

Armand

Post by Armand »

Thanks st. I’ll probably go w him as I have all winter. See attached pic of pile of parts
Attachments
D3285281-E68E-4E38-8415-BE5970E083D1.jpeg