If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

I need sympathy

Armand

Re: I need sympathy

Post by Armand »

I have no illu$$ion$ that it is something simple. We shall see…….

Armand

Post by Armand »

Bottom end time! I needed a winter project anyways. Do you guys think it’s worth it if I do the grunt work myself? I can’t attach the vid (some error msg) but there’s a bunch of up and down 8-) play in the right con .rod

MikeL46

Post by MikeL46 »

Hopefully a sacrificial rod bearing died to save more expensive parts. It is possible for the crank and rod to be useable and the bearing gone. Having said that, never seen bearing fail like that. Easy enough to check both parts.

You can do it yourself if you have the press tools. I replaced a front main bearing on my R90S.

Good luck,
Mike

PS:
Looking forward to seeing your results.
67 R50/2 w/R100 engine/trans and Ural Sidecar
69 R60/2 76 R90S 78 R100RS
70 Triumph w/Spirit Eagle Sidecar

Armand

Post by Armand »

Thanks mike and others. I’ll pull the other cylinder tomorrow . I expect the same results there.

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Run a compression check. Pull both plugs screw the compression gauge into the cylinders one at a time. crank the engine over with the starter. My R75/5 has 160 psi compression and I think the R90/6 should be about the same. If you test lower than that the pile of metal pulled out might be your rings.

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Sorry I didn't see the rod play post. Yes if you are very lucky it will only be a bearing. If you put in a new bearing check the clearance with plasti-gauge in 3 places. If the clearance isn't equal all the way around, the rod will need to be replaced.

srankin

Post by srankin »

It makes sense the connection a connecting rod bearing failing would produce the junk in the pan.

If you are lucky, that will be all wrong. Main bearings won't be affected.

Even if the main bearings are shot, they can be replaced but I would advise that you have all the proper tools on hand to do so yourself. Or, send the block out to have it done. Same goes for the crankshaft depending upon the condition of it when you inspect after removing the con rods.

To be honest, a good machine shop should be able to do any work for you including measuring things to see if they are in spec to reuse, refurbish or replace. However, I would myself spend a bit extra and ship things to an airhead specialty shop for the tasks needed. All it takes is one car shop to do a car thing to a motorcycle part and you are in for trouble down the road. I know this is a simplified view but why take the chance. Sadly, some machine shops are great, others not so. I myself would rather deal with an established airhead shop such as Ted Porter, or Rubber Chicken Racing than to risk

I am sure, there are videos and documents on line to help you with the project, good luck. St
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Armand

Post by Armand »

Thanks for the advice. Attached you should see my result$.
For sure the rod bearings are history. The journals on the crank are mildly scratched (see pic) . I don’t know what level of scratch is permissible (if at all) here. We’re they like this before , I don’t know. Advice? This is as far as I’ve ever gone , I don’t want to pull the crank out, but it’s a long winter so I have the time.
Cam lobe faces look good
Need to look at the oil pump
Attachments
43E9EEBA-A1E6-4935-8E27-89323DF544F6.jpeg
C3F50F36-1033-463E-9B4C-F5F088E3C521.jpeg
42FED162-F425-4174-B771-133C9A149C77.jpeg

Armand

Post by Armand »

Also in response to mr Clemons, too late to do a compression check. However, the rings and cylinders look fine

srankin

Post by srankin »

Well, things look pretty bad from my view. Personally, I think the damage is enough to pull the crank, clean it up, mic it, see if it can be smoothed out or resurfaced smooth. At least, that is what I would do I don't think there is an acceptable level of scratching allowed.

Good news about the cam and such.

As for the jugs rings and such, you can measure the end gap on the rings to determine the wear. Also, inspect to see how the bores look. Best thing might be to find a machine shop too mic them out to determine they are still cylindrical, round and not egg or pear shaped or something else funny. On my RT, worn rings beat the heck out of the cylinders at the base rendering them useless. I would be suspect a shot connection rod might let the piston flop around and do some damage. Maybe not but now you have things apart inspect it well.

It could be possible the oil pump is shot, mic it out and see what you have.

LOL, I am already starting my winter project, steering head bearings on my RS. Hopefully it won't take all winter. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS