If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/7 side stand removal

phlatphish

/7 side stand removal

Post by phlatphish »

I'm interested in advice on removing the side stand on an R75/7. I am planning on replacing it with a Sure Foot. My legs are just too short to confidently deploy the stock side stand while on the bike, and when I want to retract it it's invisible under the cylinder. I saw a contraption Snowbum welded on to one of his but I lack the skills and equipment to try that. I've stared at the stock stand attachment but can't imagine how it is going to come off. If you have experience doing this I'd love to hear it.
Thanks,
Callum

schrader7032

Re: /7 side stand removal

Post by schrader7032 »

I just looked at my /7 side stand and can't quite figure out how it's attached. Clearly there's a pin that the stand pivots on...not sure if the pin is held in with a circlip or nut somewhere. Probably would have to remove the front engine bolt at some point to get the stand out. I have cylinder protection bars which attach there and they're in my way and can't see everything.

I'm not afflicted with the short inseam so I've been able to deploy the stand. But I don't push the stand all the way out with my foot. I push it down until the foot touches the ground. Then while keeping a little pressure to the left, I slowly roll the bike back and the stand walks into place. Not sure I understand the issue with detracting the stand...mine is spring loaded to retract, so just leaning the bike to the right will retract the stand. I know people hate that feature...and it has bitten me a time or two. But it certainly keeps me from doing a pirouette the first time I take a left turn! It can be defeated...maybe that's the situation with yours.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

phlatphish

Post by phlatphish »

Mine has the little modification that makes the side stand stay down. I guess I need to study what looks like a stud coming out of the engine and through the frame. I also have an engine protector bar that will need to come off before I can see how the stand is held on.

phlatphish

Post by phlatphish »

It looks like a press fit onto a peg sticking out of the frame. I need to research this more before attempting removal.

Randolph

Post by Randolph »

The side stand is kept in place by a shackle the front of the center stand and side stand springs are attached to.

1. Put bike on the center stand.
2. Support front of engine with a jack. You might have to adjust up and down to get the engine mount bolt to slide easily.
3. Remove the two springs from the left shackle. You might also have to remove the center stand spring from the right shackle in order to slide the engine mount bolt.
4. Remove the left nut from the engine mount bolt.
5. Drift engine mount bolt to the right until the left shackle falls out.
6. Side stand will now slip off the frame stud.
7. Reassemble in reverse order without the side stand. Don't forget the shackle! If you completely remove the engine mount bolt for some reason, don't forget the spacer associated with the right shackle!

Added info tip: If you want the side stand to stay extended when deployed, pull forward on the side stand as you tighten the engine mount bolt nut. If you want the side stand to immediately retract when deployed, do NOT pull forward on the side stand as the bolt nut is tightened. That little bit of rotation of the shackle makes the difference.

Randy

BigWally

Post by BigWally »

I’ve put Browns side stands on my /7’s and left the OEM POS in place. I’m amazed that BMW stuck with this nonfunctional design.
'73 R75/5; ‘84 R100S Last Edition (California version); ‘84 R100RS; ‘08 R1200RT