If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Help with 1980 R100RT stuck seat

Motormykel

Help with 1980 R100RT stuck seat

Post by Motormykel »

Hello, I have a 1980 R100RT that has a stuck seat. I am new to BMWs and I put it on without hooking up the right side hinges and it is locked on. I don't even now which way the key should be turned and I do not want to break the key. Any and all help will be appreciated. I need to take off the tank to replace the fuel petcocks. Thank you. Also how in the heck do I remove the left side cover? I have alot to learn.

schrader7032

Re: Help with 1980 R100RT stuck seat

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! The key slot is on the left side of the bike. When it is unlocked, the key slot is up-down; when the seat is locked, the key slot is horizontal. Once unlocked, push the button to the left of the key slot and lift the key up. You might have to slightly push down on the seat to clear the mechanism.

As for the left side cover, it is held captive by the handle. In order to remove the seat, you'll have to remove the handle.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Re: Help with 1980 R100RT stuck seat

Post by srankin »

Can you clarify things a bit? Better yet, send pictures?

Is the seat partly on and "locked" into the locking mechanism?

I will look at my bike and see if I can visualize a fix for you. St.

If you live near the Rochester NY area I can be persuaded to offer my lift and tools for help and such as it is. Further West of me is a dedicated airhead shop. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS