If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R90/6 brake bleeding question

redavide

Re: R90/6 brake bleeding question

Post by redavide »

Thanks for all the tips!

I did successfully bleed the system . . .

But now I can't seem to get one of the eccentric caliper pivots all the way in. The other one went right in. But this one won't budge no matter how much I wiggle it and push. I don't want to force it with a hammer because I think it shouldn't be that stubborn. Any suggestions?

redavide

Post by redavide »

Finally got it in . . . .

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Hurray for the BFH! :lol:
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

redavide

Post by redavide »

schrader7032 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:54 pm
Hurray for the BFH! :lol:
That's what did it!

Randolph

Post by Randolph »

There's a danger when moving the caliper on the pivot bolt. The hard acrylic "buttons" can be chipped or broken completely. If the caliper swings out beyond the ears of the slider you have to push up on caliper (against the spring tension) to slide it back in.

I discovered this years ago when painting the calipers with high temp caliper paint. The paint requires curing at 200 degrees F and unfortunately that made the glue fail that holds in the buttons and they fell out.

The buttons I had were chipped on the face. I couldn't find replacements, but the buttons are made symmetrical and I simply reversed them and glued them back in with loctite.

Snowbum sent me a picture of the button against the slider ear. It shows how the button can be damaged by using a BFH on the caliper. The other photos are ones I took

Randy
Attachments
Snowbum's photo
Snowbum's photo
un-chipped end
un-chipped end
chipped end
chipped end
caliper button
caliper button

srankin

Post by srankin »

While I am glad you got the pivot pin back into place, I would say using a hammer is NOT advisable. Sorry, but the reason it would not go back as it should is because most likely something was out of alignment or place while you were trying to get it back in. In that case, more time should be taken to move things about and continue to insert the pin without using force.
It will go in if things are right and aligned.

As Randolph states in his post where he did something wrong, the internal parts are not available to replace.

Sorry to be a jerk but, you got lucky this time, next time, maybe not.

I admit, I have little or no patience but a lot of the time on my projects if I am struggling with putting something back together and it is not cooperating, after leaving for a bit and returning, things usually go together the second time. Or, if I get a friend to look at it. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

redavide

Post by redavide »

I totally understand the danger in using too much force when it's uncalled for. The "BFH" thing was sort of tongue in cheek. In reality, I did use a hammer, but it wasn't so big and I just used it to tap the pivot so it went completely in. And it worked and everything's working fine . . .

srankin

Post by srankin »

I got it, LOL Kurt is always telling me to lighten up. Sadly, based on some of the bikes I have seen come into my friend's shop over the years, there are people who would take you seriously. Cheers, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS