If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Replace /6 Switches with Euro /7

Macbikes

Replace /6 Switches with Euro /7

Post by Macbikes »

Hi Folks, I'm new to the site and just purchased my 7th Airhead, a 1975 R75/6.The handlebar switches were shot so i've got the closest replacements available: /7 Euro switches. I might be a bit over my head on installing them and wondering if others have successfully made this change and can offer some help. I have a pretty good understanding of electricity and know how to use a volt meter but have little knowledge of how the BMW electrics work. Any help is appreciated!
Mac Graham

Heizer

Re: Replace /6 Switches with Euro /7

Post by Heizer »

according to the Airhead magazine from Sept.2020 original replacements are available from Bench Mark Works, Beemer Shop and Motorrad Electric. I cannot confirm that. Check it out.

srankin

Post by srankin »

You are in luck, BMW uses very good color coding for its wiring.

You have a R75/6? What year? The 75/6 used the old style /6 controls up to the year 74, then I think in 75 switched over to the /7 controls? Will the new switches you have fit the bike? /7 controls are very different from /6.

Barring any physical mounting issues, I don't think you will have many wiring issues as I believe but am not 100% certain the color coding for the /7 switches is the same for the /6 switches. If there are the same number of wires for the old and new, and the wiring color code is the same for old and new, it should be a simple matter of plugging and unplugging things in the headlight shell.

To be honest, before you even attempt to do something like this, it would be a good idea to buy from EME a pair of wiring diagrams they sell for the pre 74 /6 and the post 74 bikes. As the wiring diagram will give you insight into what how the switches work in the system. EME's diagrams are in color (unlike BMW) and they show PIN numbers for relays (unlike Clymer).

Unfortunately, some switches are now NLA, I have not seen them listed for sale in either Motordad Electrik or Boxer two valve. A search of other sites may yield results, good luck. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Macbikes

Post by Macbikes »

Thanks folks for your help and ideas. I was able to find a schematic on line that matches my new switches and I’ve plotted out the wires. I haven’t hooked everything up but I think my problems are solved!

srankin

Post by srankin »

Let us know how you make out.

Oh yes, a funny thing did happen to me while I was changing the US style left hand switch on my 84 R80RT to the European version. There was a wire in the new switch that did not show up on any of BMW's wiring diagrams at all.

Now knowing how the switch worked and having the wiring diagrams made it easy to figure where to plug in this mystery wire so that things worked as they should but, sometimes BMW did minor changes to things and "forgot" to mention them.

St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS