If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Airhead BMW touring case key source

BigWally

Airhead BMW touring case key source

Post by BigWally »

Seeking key 065
'73 R75/5; ‘84 R100S Last Edition (California version); ‘84 R100RS; ‘08 R1200RT

srankin

Re: Airhead BMW touring case key source

Post by srankin »

I must admit, I feel a bit guilty about not responding to your post. I am not familiar with the key number you are asking about. What does it fit, is it for Hepco Becker saddle bags, Krauser bags, or even some other luggage? Is it a key to something else?

I did a quick Internet search for a Hepco Becker key with that number and had no luck. As I don't know if in fact it is a Hepco Becker key you are looking for, I can't help much more.

Give a bit more information and perhaps someone or I will figure out a source if there is one. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

chrishea

Post by chrishea »

He is looking for the keys that go in the early style Touring and Integral Case with the “flat top” latch. MAX BMW still has some available. They have a listing of what they have in stock. It shows they have a 65. (About a year ago I asked about a 48, it showed as available, but unfortunately wasn’t).

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsDeta ... am=FA_KEYS

Chris
Chris
Seattle

manoverboard

Post by manoverboard »

srankin (thanks!) and I have had this discussion on other sites. Trying to find keys for the older saddlebags, especially the Hepco Becker bags, is like searching for the Holy Grail. He did help in letting me know that a key SN7 would probably work on my bags, even though it says for a Sudhaus S150. They (SN7) are nowhere to be found. Hepco Becker in Germany said the only solution is to replace the locks. One vintage key shop in the UK did let me know that those keys are cast, not cut. So, a regular key shop probably would not be able to make a key. I have spent some money trying (buying) different keys I thought might work, without success. So now, instead of throwing more money at keys that don't work, I am looking for a Sudhaus SN7 key.

BigWally

Post by BigWally »

Heh chrishea thanks for the Max lead. I failed to find that section on their fiche. Placed an order, we’ll see if it’s actually filled.

Airhead77

Post by Airhead77 »

I doubt my answer will provide you with a solution, but a few YouTube videos and a lock picking set from China, I have learned to pick the old easy locks found on an airhead. Once picked, I can remove the barrel and re-key the lock to the key on hand. I have successfully re-keyed the steering, gas cap and bench seat locks to match my ignition key on my new to me R75/7 (lock sets are NLA). Last weekend I got a set of used frames and panniers that didn't come with a key. If I manage to re-key or replace the barrel with a new/generic/made-to-fit lock, I can write a guide here.
Current: 1977 BMW R75/7
Sold: 1960 BMW R27, 1972 BMW R50/5
Christos @ Brisbane, Australia

srankin

Post by srankin »

Hey do a good video on lock picking and re keying, I know someone who could use it. St.

BigWally

Post by BigWally »

BigWally wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:04 pm
Heh chrishea thanks for the Max lead. I failed to find that section on their fiche. Placed an order, we’ll see if it’s actually filled.
Max BMW accepted the order then cancelled it due to NLA...apparently their fiche doesn’t align with their actual inventory.

chrishea

Post by chrishea »

Sorry…. Same thing happened to me on the 48.
Chris
Seattle

srankin

Post by srankin »

I know how hard it is to find keys for the luggage. As I said, I don't remember my last purchase or where to replace lost keys.

Suggestions I have now that Max has listed the keys you need NLA would be to do a search of Ebay as well as contacting Hepco Becker via email. Check with Siebenrock or Boxer two valve. Perhaps one of the UK suppliers such as Motobins, may have a source.

I don't know exactly what luggage you have but I do know Siebenrock and Boxer two valve both sell replacement latch systems for the classic look bags. They don't look difficult to replace and at least then, you will get a lock with this year's current key. St.