If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Corbin Seat Mounting?

srankin

Corbin Seat Mounting?

Post by srankin »

I removed the Corbin seat on my 84 R80RT last winter in order to do a restoration. Now I find when I go to mount the seat, it does not sit on the bumper and on the frame but instead is solely resting on the hinges and the pivot pins. As I have always had the metal cowling on, I never noticed it. Now, this state would explain why the seat broke at a hinge a year ago and Corbin replaced it under warranty.

Does anyone with a Corbin seat know if theirs is sitting on the bumpers as it should or is only supported by the hinges?

I will be calling Corbin much as I hate to as I am not keen on the after a major incident a few years back.

Seems to me, the seat should rest on the bumpers and not the hinges. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

srankin

Re: Corbin Seat Mounting?

Post by srankin »

The follow up with Corbin was not good. The suggestion was made to modify my bike by making a gasket to close the gap. I was told it is an old unit and they don't do much with them. The hinges they shipped with the seat are the only ones they have for the seat, sorry.

So, no, I am not going to modify my bike to fit a seat that should fit my bike. The Corbin is coming off and I will find a stock or other company seat to fit. St.

oligee7275

Post by oligee7275 »

I believe the stock seat has six rubber bumpers that rested on the frame.
So, yes, the seat should rest on bumpers.
Could you "modify" the Corbin seat to add bumpers that would rest on the frame?
Maybe not these per se but something like them?
Holes drilled in the seat base and a bumper something like this added.
https://www.ebay.com/p/1661607302?iid=274462216722

oligee7275

Post by oligee7275 »

With that thought in mind you could check here to see if they might have something you could work with.
If you like the seat enough you could make it work.
Some are adhesive type.
https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber-bumpers/

srankin

Post by srankin »

I didn't write about the fact this is the third time I have contacted Corbin about problems with this seat and it has been sent back to them twice.

They claim to make a seat to fit my bike a bike which model didn't change in seat mounting design from 77 to 84, and they fall short of the claim, then say sorry.

it is a bit much to have to modify a seat made for my bike so that it does what it is supposed to do especially when the company has had two other times to do it themselves. St.

oligee7275

Post by oligee7275 »

I feel your pain.
Had one Corbin on a KLR that I liked a lot.
Another I bought for my R1100RS that had the "rumble seat".
One ride with my wife and she hated it. Sold it after one ride.
Have bought Sargent seats since.
Sometimes we send them back and demand a return of our money.
And, then, sometimes we make "field modifications" and move on.
Good luck.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have done the return twice, first time, I sent detailed instructions regarding the problem, talked on the phone to a rep, paid to ship to CA. After four or five months and no phone calls or emails, the seat shows up on my door with nothing done to it, and no note. A call to Corbin and I am told if I want the problem solved, it will cost me another $300 to make the change. I put on a sheepskin cover and rode it after thanking them for wasting my time and no help. Second time the same seat goes back is because the hinge in the rear pushed through the plastic base. Now this time, they did return the seat repair with only my cost of shipping to them. Great I thought, I am done with them. This third time, I had the metal cowling off and noticed the gap and the fact the weight is being supported by the hinges not the frame. Calling Corbin, I am told the hinges they sent me the repairs seat with are the only ones they have, sorry. Now I am about to have the bike pinstriped and the seat cowl pinstripe lines up with the bottom stripe on the gas tank. If I have the Corbin seat on the bike up in the air instead of where it should be, the stripes won't line up if I ever put on a stock or other manufacture's seat.

A piddly detail but after paying good money to pinstripe, I would be more aggrieved.

I have made do and carried on with many things, I did with this seat after the first return. Third time is a strike out, I am never putting a Corbin product on any bike again. A new stock style seat is on order from Siebenrock. I have done business with them met Herr Siebenrock and find them to be a very good company to do business with.
Thus ends my tale of woe, I promise I won't post anymore regarding this issue. St.