If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Need paint code help

phlatphish

Need paint code help

Post by phlatphish »

Hello, There is no label under the seat or on the rear fender of my 1977 R75/7. I could use some help finding the correct paint code for this bike. It is bright metallic blue with white pinstriping (picture attached). Any assistance would be much appreciated, thanks.
Attachments
P1105816.JPG

schrader7032

Re: Need paint code help

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! Very nice bike...I'm partial to that color as my '78 R100/7 looks identical. I've heard that the codes were pasted under the seat on the rear fender but I never found any. Snowbum has a pretty good page here for paint codes:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pcodes.htm

Check out Blue Metallic which is what I think you (and I) have. I believe the code is 084 and the pinstriping is the 533...I could be wrong. But people who do BMW Glasurit paint will know these codes.

Are you looking for some repainting, touch-up, or just want to know?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

In my limited experience the number usually found on the back fender tends to be the "paint/pinstripe" code which must be further broken down into as Kurt has provided the paint code and the pinstripe color paint code.

Snowbum has a very good listing for paint codes and there is a site https://hdpaintcode.com/bmw-motorcycles/

If you are going to paint with Glasurit be prepared to pay dearly for the paint.

Touch up is difficult sometime due to fading and aging of the bike's paint so even the exact paint code paint might not match.

I just found out how expensive it has been to get a whole bike repainted. That is a long story. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

srankin

Post by srankin »

Another paint information spot.
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes/blues.htm

phlatphish

Post by phlatphish »

This is all very helpful. I've taken a look at these resources and I know much more than I did. Thanks!

https://hdpaintcode.com/bmw-motorcycles doesn't have 1977 colors... but the the 1978 metallic blue is 533

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes/blues.htm says the paint code is 033/428 and the scheme code is 428/533

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pcodes.htm says 084/533, with pinstripes maybe using #101, not 084. This is listed for 1977-78

So I think 533 is the blue and 084 or 101 the white stripe. Now I need to find a source and someone to paint it.

The short story is that I laid the bike down in slow motion (arthritic hand, I wish it hadn't happened but it did) so now it has a nice graze on the tank. I can't stand looking at it so I'm looking to have the tank painted. I found someone who can do it locally for $350 but I don't know how much experience he has. I'd send it somewhere to get a good match.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Sorry to hear about the road rash. Where are you located? There has been some discussion for painters, but these people are very local to each individual. Glasurit paint is pricey but getting the job done right is more of the issue. Holt Designs in Ohio is the premier painter in the US as far as I know. I believe they will sell the paint. At least then you would start with the proper colors.
Kurt in S.A.

phlatphish

Post by phlatphish »

Thanks, it is a bummer but no one to blame but myself. I'm in Santa Fe, NM.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Am I correct there is a way to scan a part with paint to be matched then have the color mixed to match? Or am I only thinking of house paint?

My paint shop guy mentioned something about it when was looking for the paint codes for my bike. We didn't go that route because the whole bike is being repainted not just a part of the bike. St.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

ST -

It can be done. I've take parts of old mechanical clocks into paint places and had them scan the dial to work out a paint color. Or if they have those small paint chips, take something like the side cover in and sit around matching against the samples. Unfortunately, none of these will be perfect, not like you see on Bitchin' Rides! If you do select a paint color through the chips, it's really best to then get some kind of spray-out so you will see what it looks like on a surface. It probably won't match the paint chip.
Kurt in S.A.

phlatphish

Post by phlatphish »

The local shop said they would do a match based on the existing paint but then he asked for the paint code. I'll call him this week to see what his plan would be.