If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Need paint code help

Airhead77

Re: Need paint code help

Post by Airhead77 »

phlatphish wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:57 pm
The local shop said they would do a match based on the existing paint but then he asked for the paint code. I'll call him this week to see what his plan would be.
Hi phlatphish. I have the same exact bike here in AUS, imported from Pennsylvania a couple of years ago (VIN 6120302 manufactured 1st October 1976). I also have been wondering about the paint codes for it, since it needs a lot of touching up and I have no sticker on the rear fender. My endless search has shown the same information as you (definitely not Monza Blue):
Paint.Code.JPG
Please, keep us informed on your findings with your painter and any relative information on modern paint codes.
Current: 1977 BMW R75/7
Sold: 1960 BMW R27, 1972 BMW R50/5
Christos @ Brisbane, Australia

srankin

Re: Need paint code help

Post by srankin »

I know how hard it is to get BMW matching paint for airheads in my area. Truth be told, my repaint I am having done now ended up with me choosing a more modern BMW bike color the paint shop my painter of choice happened to have in their files. For me, it is not a problem as I am doing the whole bike and I am not concerned with an exact match of color, to be honest, I could have gone with Chevy truck blue and saved even more money on the cost of the paint.

Paint shops who do bikes are few and far between, my past as well as my friend's shop's past experience is a paint shop doing cars will do a bike as a filler job, then when they find out how much fiddling there is with all the bits of fairing, side covers and such they decide not to paint bikes anymore.

So, shops like Holt who specialize in BMW paint are really the place to go to or send stuff to if you want or need an exact match. They also rightly charge the price for their work. I can't blame them, I would do the same if I had the skill and knowhow to do the quality job they do.

I have a local guy who does fantastic work for a fair price. He has made a bunch of jigs and holders for the purpose of making things easier for him and also so he can get to the hard to locate and paint places. But, he is changing shops and my timing was off to have him do my current project. Lucky for me, the guy I have hired is doing very well.

I am lucky to be in a location where there are a bunch of Harley paint shops, and the guy doing my paint is not a Harley snob, LOL, he is just not used to BMW and as I said, his shop doesn't have the old paint codes on file.

I don't know the point of this note except to say I feel for anyone trying to get an airhead BMW painted and painted right for a fair price. I can't and won't bad mouth Holt, but I just couldn't afford them. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS