If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Engine numbers on an R65?

Slash2

Re: Engine numbers on an R65?

Post by Slash2 »

Thanks Kurt. So the plate sounds legit. I’m leaning toward the bike being an authentic original and the condition alone gives any 35+ year old motorcycle a certain value.

There’s something somewhat off-balance about the design of the R65. Instead of driving forward it appears somehow as though it’s falling back. The front end appears flimsy, unfinished and the rear end does little to make up for it.

The LS at least offers a bit of a Star Trek vibe with that bizarre fairing and the paint jobs are half decent.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I don't know much about the whole package, but I would have thought that by '84 they would have improved the front end with bigger tubes. And I thought the top plate on the steering was thicker than it was on the bikes from the 70s...people would put an R65 top plate on the stiffen things up.

The R65 series was always a little different and certainly there are parts that do not swap with the bigger bikes. The R65 is a Type 248 while the others are Type 247. The conrods are shorter, 18" front wheel, maybe the steering geometry is different.

I thought there was an article in a recent BMW Motorädder by Hans Muth about the R65 but don't see it.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Yes, the R65 bikes are a different fish. Any knowledge I have of them is from casual observation as well as limited encounters at my friend's shop. Unlike Kurt, who I know will look things up, I am too lazy. LOL.

This bike in question is a dual shock. BMW in the 85 year models made radical changes to the airhead twins. Elements of K bike styling came into play with things such as Mono shock and redesigned front forks and a smaller front wheel on the three main horses.

Not for nothing, the R65 is probably a good little bike, I certainly love the Hans Muth styling of the LS version. I am afraid however, in my local hang out, the R65 doesn't get much respect due to the difficulty of finding used parts and lack of part interchangeability with other BMW models of the same age group.

Resale price wise, the pictures you have here show a clean bike in seeming good condition. To buy it or not depends on what you want to do with it. I certainly would not buy an R65 and expect to load it up with gear and run the four lane highways with it. However, for a nice light afternoon in on the country roads bike solo or perhaps two up with smaller people on it than me, it would be like any BMW a hoot. $5K for a very clean, low mile bike that needs no work other than gas in the tank is a bit high for a R65 but not outrageous, I have seen higher prices asked for a lot worse.

Like the bad penny, I have turned up again and given my two cents now, LOL. Anyone who is able to ride is lucky, I am jealous. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Hey there Steve. I appreciate your perspective here. As far as my intentions go, I live in the country and am surrounded by an endless supply of great country roads. I avoid the highways entirely and usually ride alone. My wife loves to ride with me but she prefers my 1968 R69US and I’m sure I do as well. I have several /2 bikes to choose from and a plunger. I used to have an R100RS and if I could go back, I would have kept it.
This bike is only interesting to me due to the mileage and condition. It’s a museum piece, but in the end it’s an absolutely pristine example of one of the least exciting airheads I can think of. I suppose if I tire of it, I could likely move it along in a few years and hopefully get my initial investment back out. If it were about a grand less I don’t think I’d hesitate but for $5600 I could have my pick of a few more interesting new stable mates.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I find there are a lot of bikes I would love to own and ride but I always talk myself out of buying them. LOL, there are lots of reasons.

It is nice to be married to someone who rides and allows more than one bike at a time. St.

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

I’m with you. I talk myself out of buying just about everything these days. It makes haggling easy when you’re goal is to go home empty handed.

I’m going to have another look at the bike and take it for a spin tomorrow morning. If it makes me smile, I might just bring it home.

Stay tuned.

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Well I took the old Tacoma up to Brockway PA on Tuesday morning and ended up bringing the R65 home. The test ride didn’t help to dissuade me as the bike started instantly, idled beautifully and ran like new.
The Antique Pennsylvania plate was a real bonus as these are rare as hens teeth in PA and bring some serious coin these days when they come up for sale.
So the question is what now? Will have some time with her this weekend to get acquainted.
Attachments
6F7DE1F6-5C32-45EA-8A7F-3CE3172575F5.jpeg
23B0DB09-956A-4D2C-8AE9-91DA8FBBF68C.jpeg
10D75B55-088A-4142-A19A-79071FAC47E4.jpeg

srankin

Post by srankin »

If the pictures don't lie, you got a real nice bike now for a fair price. May you have many happy miles of riding. St.

ECJ

Post by ECJ »

I'm a little late to the discussion, but for what it's worth, I have 3 R65LS's in the shop right now, and all have VIN numbers stamped on the case above the dipstick.

Looks like a sweet bike you got!

ECJ

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

ECJ, what years are the R65s? I don't think his bike is an LS, so maybe that's a difference??
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.