If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Engine numbers on an R65?

ECJ

Re: Engine numbers on an R65?

Post by ECJ »

Kurt-

I have 2 from 1983 and 1 from 1981, the first year of production. The LS models are defined by their distinctive Hans Muth designed small front fairing and rear tail section with integrated grab handles, as well as unique cast wheels, double discs up front, etc. Unique little bikes for sure. I think they would make for a great in town bike with their smaller size and quick handling. Great for day trips too, and perfect for smaller riders.

ECJ

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Well, Slash2 said he looked by the dipstick and didn't see the number. His is a probably '85 model (late 1984 build) and non LS, so things could have changed since what you see on your 1983 model.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Who knows what is on "BMW's" mind when it comes to things, LOL. Maybe they figured they could save a few bucks by not stamping the code next to the filler/dipstick? Or, maybe the robot doing that task broke down and they decided not to fix it.

Work on these bike enough or know someone who does and there will be surprises. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

From my somewhat extensive research it does appear that engine stamping ended in 1984 which would make this bike one of the first to have an unstamped engine. Kurt sited several articles which discusses this transition and others are easily found with a quick google search. The flat metal plate mounted beneath the left hand cylinder was used to identify the motor for some states which had very picky laws regarding identification. It surprises me that a frame and driveshaft number would not have been sufficient in these incidents. At any rate, the bike I have in my garage currently is so exceptionally clean and low mileage, that a replacement engine seems like an extraordinarily unlikely event.
Of course I could be wrong and if so I’ve unwittingly added an albatross to my otherwise flawless collection and if so I’m afraid I’ll never recover from the indignity of it all.

Haha.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire