If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Fuel tank restoration

wbmoore

Fuel tank restoration

Post by wbmoore »

Hi folks.
I have a fuel tank from a slash 6 police bike. The tank has rust (crusty pin holes) behind the left knee pad.
image.jpg
Does anyone have a recommendation for a person that restores fuel tanks ? It needs the rust repaired, some metal work and paint.

OR

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of a product that will patch and not be affected by todays various gasolines. The good news is the rust is limited to the center area behind the knee pad so a fiberglass type patch will not show.

I’m in the Northern half of California. I’m also willing to ship it to the right person. Thanks.

P.S. Does anyone know if the deeper green was a BMW color ?
Brad Moore
1960 R69; 1975 Norton MKIII; 1976 R90/6; 1992 K75S; 2000 Hayabusa
Big Bar, Northern California

strichzwei

Re: Fuel tank restoration

Post by strichzwei »

Caswell's red dragon works well, it is all in the preparation work ;)!
Looks like "Nurburg Gruen" green to me.
Scott

srankin

Post by srankin »

In all honesty, I don't think any kind of goop in a can is the way to go in fixing this tank.

While I can't give you an exact name or website to go to, there are shops that will cut tanks open, clean them out and re weld them. I would imagine the cost would depend on the condition of the tank and how much patch work will be needed.

Relining the tank with whatever goop is on the market might work but is a bandaid, on something that needs stitches.

It is sad you have the problem, the police gas tanks with the storage are not common items where you can go to a used part shop and buy right away.

However, once you get it patched properly, it will be very cool.

The green color may be the color of the Berlin Police department bikes, I have seen some pictures of the bikes they rode in the past. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

strichzwei

Post by strichzwei »

If you have someone cut and patch, you better line it with "goop" too or you will be right back where you are now in a few years.
Scott

wbmoore

Post by wbmoore »

I’ve seen, on the internet, BMW police bikes listed as Nurburg Gruen (now that I know the name-thanks Scott) that are the lighter, brighter shade in the photo. I’m wondering about the darker shade of green that the tank was originally painted
248F5514-10EE-406D-8A78-1B8469784635.jpeg
before it was covered over with Nurburg Gruen. The inside of the tool box is also the deeper shade of green.
After any repair, I will be sealing it with RedKoat which is very much “a goop”.
Still hoping to find a metal miracle worker. Thanks.
Brad Moore

srankin

Post by srankin »

Tank liner, Yes, after the metal repair, the tank will need to be relined with some kind of liner goop. I meant goop won't work properly to fix the problem by itself.

The inside of the tool box or from under the knee pads paint will be the best bet to match or get a color match for the original paint color. No sunlight, or exposure to the elements means the paint has not faded in time. The older paints could fade with time, not sure about the new paints as they are new and haven't stood the test of time.

Not to be a jerk but have you checked out any UK or European web sites to see if you can source a gas tank in better condition? I know you want to restore the original and I would be in same mind but, is cost a factor in the build?

The police bikes are cool, and to unfortunately some of the special parts that made them cool are NLA, So, if you choose to stick with the tank you have, that is very good, it is great to have something rare restored. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

wbmoore

Post by wbmoore »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a person that restores fuel tanks ? It needs the rust repaired, some metal work and paint.
Brad Moore

ECJ

Post by ECJ »

Try: Scottie Sharpe @ Scottie's Workshop
https://blog.scottiesharpe.com/p/contact.html

He's in Murphys, CA

ECJ