If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear, very abrupt

motaman38

upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear, very abrupt

Post by motaman38 »

Hello,,

I have a 1975 R60/6. I am having an issue where when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, after releasing the clutch, the engagement makes a loud clunk and and jerks the motorcycle forward violently? I have tried both higher RPM's 4000 to 4500 and lower 2000 to 2500, prior to shifting and no affect trying to smooth out the engagement. The only thing that smooths this out is to delay engagement of the clutch by a couple of seconds. This is also happening when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, occasionally, but not as consistent as 1st to 2nd gear. I recently had the gearbox rebuilt by a reputable BMW shop too, and prior to this the engagement was not this abrupt.

Any advise is appreciated.
Motaman
Motaman

schrader7032

Re: upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear, very abrupt

Post by schrader7032 »

As they say, go back to the last thing you touched!! Have you had an opportunity to ask the repair shop about the problem? Maybe they might have some suggestions.

But if the problem is not something inside the box, it could be that the input splines on the transmission need lubing. If the shop did that, then it becomes more of a puzzle. But it seems like the clutch disk is not sliding back and forth on the splines, thus creating the abruptness.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Kurt gives good advice with checking the input spines for lube and contacting the repair shop.

I will add the suggestion you recheck the installation of the clutch and clutch adjustment. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

MikeL46

Post by MikeL46 »

Actually the brief description does not sound like the transmission to me. The engine speed must be high to jerk the bike forward.

It sounds like the engine speed is not coming down. Is there slack in the throttle cables? Is the advance mechanism free and returning properly? Is the idle speed too high?

Mike
67 R50/2 w/R100 engine/trans and Ural Sidecar
69 R60/2 76 R90S 78 R100RS
70 Triumph w/Spirit Eagle Sidecar