If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Stripped ground bolt hole

Shaunesy

Stripped ground bolt hole

Post by Shaunesy »

23-11-1-230-599...Transmission breather bolt, Speedometer cable retention, battery ground connnection. The hole for the bolt has become stripped. Enough thread exists to hold the bolt in place and retain the speedometer cable, but not maintain a good ground path. I have added a supplemental ground to the frame to eliminate electrical issues, but am wondering if there is a good solution to the stripped hole. It obviously is not threaded the entire length of the bolt, but I am unable to see how deep the threads actually go into the transmission cover. Was thinking I could use a helicoil kit, but worried I might do more damage than good...

Thoughts?

schrader7032

Re: Stripped ground bolt hole

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! Year/model of bike?

I'd be inclined to find something on the transmission for grounding, but I looked on the back plate of my /7 and don't see anything right away. There is a larger allen bolt down low on the right side where the clutch cable comes through the transmission bell housing. It would take a longer ground cable to reach that spot.

Use some blue Loctite on the existing hollow bolt to hold it in place and act as the anchor for the speedometer cable drive.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Shaunesy

Post by Shaunesy »

1976 BMW R90S. Looking at an E-Z LOK 13/32 on Grainger. Looks like that would do a better job of repairing the threads than a helicoil with less material dumped into the transmission case. Have to take my time and have a good vacuum setup to get material out of the Transmission while drilling, tapping and installing the repair...

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Is the transmission out of the bike? If not, I'd just find the alternate ground and fix the issue down the road when/if the transmission needs internal repairs.
Kurt in S.A.

Shaunesy

Post by Shaunesy »

I think that would likely be the best bet. I may try some loctite thread repair to keep the bolt in place for the speedo cable.

Thanks!

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

Won't help with the current situation but maybe help someone else down the road. I snipped off the bottom section of my ground wire eyelet so I only need to loosen the tach holder bolt (vs remove it) when disconnecting the ground.
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Chris -

I did that back shortly after getting my /7 in 1980...been that way ever since. The only issue is that one has to be careful to not ham-fist that bolt when reattaching the ground lug. I suppose each time it's loosened/tightened is another opportunity to strip the threads. But I hope I've learned that it just needs to be snug, not over-torqued.
Kurt in S.A.

willstone

Post by willstone »

I just had the same issue on a /5 that I picked up. I pulled the speedo cable and stuffed a bit of rag onto the cable hole and used a time-sert.(the rag to prevent any chips from drilling/tapping to enter the trans. But it's only aluminum so not really worried) Timesert is similar to heli-coil. Heli-coil should also work fine. On the time-sert I had to grind down the length so it wasn't as long and inserted it. It works fine. No problems since.

Shaunesy

Post by Shaunesy »

Thanks for the responses everyone. After removing the speedo cable I saw that the transmission wasn't 'open' and was able to place a piece of tape in the bottom to keep any debris out. I used some Loc-tite thread repair for a temporary repair until I need a more comprehensive repair. Can't really get a drill bit lined up to drill out the hole for a heli-coil or other thread repair method.