If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Alpha Classic Ignition

wolds

Alpha Classic Ignition

Post by wolds »

Let me start by saying that I love this ignition and have it installed on my R90s for 4 years now. So I had the final drive, swing arm and gearbox off the bike for routine maintenance and when I reassembled the bike it would not start. Tracked down the issue to an intermittent spark. Checked my connections at the coils (reseated and cleaned) still no joy. I pulled the connector on the ECU and this is what I found. Still puzzled that 3 terminals showed signs of corrosion as there is a gasket in the connector and that the assembly is mounted directly behind the coils in the recommended location. Cleaned and applied dielectric grease pins and the bike now runs great.
Attachments
IMG-8238.jpg
2007 BMW R1200RT
1979 Yamaha XS650 "cafe"
1976 BMW R90S
1976 BMW R60/6

srankin

Re: Alpha Classic Ignition

Post by srankin »

I have a Alpha system on my R80RT, LOL it is a long story as to why I replaced the stock system, not for this post.

What you found is very interesting and prompts me to look at my system's plug now.

I know my stock system went for almost 32 years without any problems. Corrosion finally killing my main wiring harness after 37 years and 240K miles of riding almost all year round.

As to why your system corroded and failed, I can only guess perhaps the contacts used in the Alpha system are not as good as what BMW used?

So now it is time to inspect and dielectric grease my system. Thanks for sharing. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS