If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Paint codes

srankin

Paint codes

Post by srankin »

Sometimes BMW can really peeve me off. I am trying to repaint my 84 R80RT and find the code on the fender is a "scheme" code not a paint code. Hidden in some BMW vault is the paint code that goes with this scheme. Scheme being the paint color as well as the color of the pinstripe in combo.

So far, I have found the paint to be "Dunkel Blue (dark) metallic. code 130. There is also reference to a Pacific blue metallic and on this one, I cannot get a correct paint code to match.

Anyone out there know how to find the codes for sure? I know I could get a match from the old paint by sampling under emblems but, this will be the second repaint. The first repaint was 34 years ago and Chevy Truck Blue was used. Now I have a few dollars in my pocket more than then, I would like to get it closer to the original color. Failing that, I will be matching close or perhaps different as I did back the first time. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Re: Paint codes

Post by schrader7032 »

Mr. Snowbum seems to have a decent page on colors:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pcodes.htm

You can also go to RealOEM and type in your VIN and look under Body Equipment > Painted Parts. There's also Holt in Ohio...not sure if he pass on info but he'd certainly be willing to sell some paint!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I kind of settled the issue this afternoon. I had gone to snowbum's site as well as others. Sent a note to Holt and Max. Spent hours on the net looking at various information.

Yes, I can pay a large chunk of change and buy the 100% color in Glasurit paint. I "think" the final color comes in as Dunkle Blue (dark) metallic, Paint code 130.

The paint store my paint guy uses does not have this in their files or codes.

They do have BMW motorcycle codes and colors with swatches or chips to view. I have picked out Titan Blue, paint code 241.

I love my BMW bikes but I am not always happy with BMW. Problem solved, not an exact match but it will be pretty. St.

SandyHackney

Post by SandyHackney »

I have a '84 R80 like yours with the schema on the fender of 566. I gather that the paint code is 130. Where can I find touch up paint for this code (in US if possible)? Thank you.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I'm not sure there's much out there in terms of ready prepared touch-up paint. Let's see what other says. But my guess is if you're touching something up that's been out in the sun for all these years, you'll need to find a company that can use some computer equipment to match the older paint. In that article on paint codes by Snowbum, I think he has listed a number of companies that offer paint. Maybe that would be the way to go unless you have a trusted source nearby.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

As a note, I had my RT repainted an entirely different shade of BMW blue, much lighter. The deciding factor was the enormous cost of the Glasurit paint as well as my paint guy's hesitation to use Glasurit products as they are an unknown to him. As of last I knew, Holt in Ohio sold Glasurit paint in BMW codes. Glasurit's website may also list shops selling in your local area.

Touching things up is a challenge because of fading over time and application. Just applying new paint to a scratch over old can stand out like a sore thumb unless the new is blended in and this can be an art in itself.

Also, I don't believe the new formula paints are anything like the original formulas so I would be worried about compatibility. Would the new paint bond to the old? LOL, as I am not a painter, I can't answer this but it would be a concern if I were to touch up scratches.

Anyway, my bike is pretty for the next 100K miles. Good luck on a match. St.

SandyHackney

Post by SandyHackney »

Thank you both for your very helpful and informed responses. I had purchased the R80 from a friend for a mere $50. Naturally it took another $3500 and five months in the shop, but it runs just great. Hopefully it will be my Forever BMW - I am almost 80 so there is a good chance! Given the advice on the paint I will just live with the scratches and dents - like its owner. Thanks again!

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, or you can be like me, paint a bike, then scratch it. There is nothing worse than the first scratch on a new bike or a newly repainted one. LOL, once the first scratch unless it looks like a tiger clawed it, I just consider it patina and a sign of use. I don't paint them to look at them or enter them in shows, LOL.

You can't go wrong with an R80 for $50, if you come across another deal like that and don't want it, let me know. I paid for mine at the dealer new in 84 and since then have spent three or four times the purchase cost on what is now the third cosmetic, functional rebuild. Riding in all kinds of winter weather here in NY is not good for things.

I sure pray each day I will be able to still ride at 80. Cheers, and enjoy the ride. St.

sherman980

Post by sherman980 »

If all you're trying to deal with are small scratches in 50-60 year old paint, trying to match it with a "correct" factory paint code touch up paint is a fool's errand. You will likely make the blemish more obvious than less. So... (and hold the snickering until you're done...), take a sample piece (on BMW's, a side cover works well) into you're local drugstore or Walmart, etc. that sells nail polish. You will be amazed by the range of colors available these days. If you can't find one bottle that matches closely enough, buy a couple and mix your own. They even come with their own brush. The cosmetic industry has probably spent more money on making sure women's nails look beautiful than the automotive industry has on developing paint! The stuff flows and fills amazingly well. Oh, you said you wanted pearl or metallic? No problem! LOL! Let it dry for a day, put a coat of wax on it, and it will last for years. For really "off-beat" colors, try a women's cosmetic specialty store. Best of all are the looks you will get when you are holding up bottles to that fender you have under your arm or the gas tank you are trying to match! :lol:
Thanks.
Chuck S

SandyHackney

Post by SandyHackney »

Thank you Chuck. Great idea. I am off to CVC shortly.

$50 motorcycle? I had a Rickman frame with a CB750 punched out to 1000cc that I sold to the fellow from whom I bought the R80, for, you guessed it, $50. Much $$ later he is still trying to figure out how to stay alive on it.