If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Do I need a new starter?

Armand

Re: Do I need a new starter?

Post by Armand »

I replaced mine w the new and improved euro electrics model. If anyone needs the old Bosch one, you could have it for the cost of shipping

75R60

Post by 75R60 »

Well I reassembled and stuck it back in the bike. For the time being it’s working like a champ., But the improved performance and lighter weight is a no brainer. Next time I’ll just replace it. Thank you guys for your insight. I really appreciate it
Dang
‘75 R60/6
‘75 R90/6
#therippleride

srankin

Post by srankin »

Well, taking apart the old unit and re lubing it cost you a lot less than a new unit would have cost and just how much performance do you need as well as weight savings? I have the stock starters in both my bikes one has 37 years and 240K miles on it, the other has 144K miles and 43 years on it. Other than having the starters apart once each to lubricate and clean them, they work just fine. Just like the bikes they are in. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have the two original starters on my bikes and they work fine after giving them a shot of lubrication

I appreciate the newer units spinning faster and weighing less, I myself, can't see replacing them if they only take an hour to clean and lube and work fine.

If I ever have to replace them, I will keep in mind the starters listed here. St.

75R60

Post by 75R60 »

Out of curiosity, where specifically do you apply the lube? Just the ends of the motor shaft where it meets the casing?
Dang
‘75 R60/6
‘75 R90/6
#therippleride

srankin

Post by srankin »

very light on the parts which move, the ends and the shaft. No need to over do it as excess will attract dust and dirt. St.