If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Knee Pad Adhesive and Fuel Petcock Orientation?

jimmiejag

Knee Pad Adhesive and Fuel Petcock Orientation?

Post by jimmiejag »

I am just starting to prep my 1971 R75/5 fuel tank that had some deep scratches and a few small peeling paint spots. I was able to remove the knee pads with no damage but would like to have recommendations as to what adhesive has been used successfully to re-attach knee pads. There is evidence of some sort of haphazard glue/adhesive used to apply them originally (see photo.)
This bike had fuel petcocks that require the fuel line to come out at 90 degrees and have a strainer cylinder that screens crud that fit into the tank
TankPrepingForPaint.jpg
, but I also have petcocks that come straight out, vertically, that do not have the cylindrical screen atop them. I have seen photos of both types on R75/5s of this vintage. Were these bikes delivered with straight or 90 degree petcocks? I intend to use inline fuel filters in both fuel lines, so there is no advantage to the screen filters that the 90 degree petcocks have.
Jim, 1971 R75/5, Kirkwood, MO

schrader7032

Re: Knee Pad Adhesive and Fuel Petcock Orientation?

Post by schrader7032 »

I recommend using Permatex Super Weatherstrip adhesive for the kneepad. I'm sure others might have a good rubber-metal glue. I used the Permatex stuff to glue the engine badge on my /7.

The original petcocks went straight down. Later they came out 90 degrees. I think the straight ones are NLA but could still be available some place that I can't remember right now.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jimmiejag

Post by jimmiejag »

Thanks, Kurt. I have some of the Permatex on the way. I can also use it for the engine badges, too, as you noted.
Also, I have the straight petcocks in hand and they will permit me to install inline fuel filters between the tank and the carbs.

skychs

Post by skychs »

I used 3M Emblem and Trim Adhesive on my tanks. So far so good.
Attachments
DFDF4B54-7646-45EB-812D-69C46998072E.jpeg
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

jimmiejag

Post by jimmiejag »

Thanks for the replies. I am currently preparing the petrol tank for painting. It had a few deep scratches and some peeling paint, so I am going to repaint it. I found a local pinstriper who will stripe both sides for $150, as original.
The problem I will have is that the frame is a bit shabby and it will contrast with the freshly painted tank.
Any ideas how I can freshen-up the frame without pulling the engine?
GasTankRightSide.jpg

skychs

Post by skychs »

jimmiejag wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:40 am
Any ideas how I can freshen-up the frame without pulling the engine?
GasTankRightSide.jpg
I tried that twice. I was only going to paint the tank and fenders and just touch up the frame. The more I touched up the frame the worse it got. Ended up with two frame up restorations.
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

srankin

Post by srankin »

My last "touch up" turned into a full fledged frame up restoration. The more I touched up, the more I found to touch up and the less I liked the touch up I had done.

I have spent the winter taking the bike apart, having things powder coated, chromed and now I am waiting for the painted parts to come back.

Second time for this bike, 37 years and 240K+ miles of not so gentle riding has taken a toll and needed to be restored. I would only do this kind of work on an airhead and on one I really enjoy riding. The bike that does most anything I want it to do. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

strichzwei

Post by strichzwei »

I use regular 100% silicone adhesive/sealant (pick your favorite brand). I clean both surfaces (tank and knee pad) thoroughly with alcohol and then apply many small separate dots on the back of the elastomer kneepad, then tape in place until the silicone has cured. This has worked great for me. 100% silicone is inert and will not attack the paint (afaik) and it can be removed later relatively easily from both tank and elastomer knee pad.
scott

Adamw

Post by Adamw »

Out of curiosity, what are the two 'C' shaped recesses in the knee pad area for; drainage, ease of removal? -Thanks