If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Crusty Master cylinder

Armand

Crusty Master cylinder

Post by Armand »

I have bought a 1975 r9/6 that was orphaned on a porch for 8 years. I pulled the Mc and it looks like it came off the outside of a submarine. New replacements are $400ish. I see where some folks have moved to a handlebar version and that is pretty spendy. Do you guys have any suggestions? I’ll bite the bullet if needed......Thanks in advance!

jimmiejag

Re: Crusty Master cylinder

Post by jimmiejag »

Have you investigated the possibility of having your mc sleeved. Here is a link to a company that has been known for decades for quality work: https://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving-re ... -services/
I have known of them but have not used them and they may be expensive, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them and see if they can sleeve your mc and what it might cost.
Jim, 1971 R75/5, Kirkwood, MO

Armand

Post by Armand »

Jimmie , thanks. I took it off the bike and I am going to take it apart to assess it. I guess that I was just shocked at the price.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Don't despair, the only time you would have to worry about re sleeving or anything like that would be if the cylinder bore is rusted and pitted.
You may be surprised when things are cleaned up they don't look so bad once old fluid and crust are removed.
Then you can get by with a rebuild kit. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

willstone

Post by willstone »

I've used www.applehydraulics.com They will sleeve and rebuild your /6 MC for $185. The rebuild kits for the 14mm master cylinder are no longer available from BMW dealers. Apple Hydraulics have the ability and parts to rebuild your master cylinder.

ECJ

Post by ECJ »

Armand-

There is another recent thread on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16667

Upgrading my 1979 R80/7 to a handlebar mounted MC was one of the single best upgrades I have done for that bike. Braking performance is massively improved. I highly recommend the conversion.

Good luck,

ECJ

willstone

Post by willstone »

Just saw on eBay today (02/06/21) a rebuilt master cylinder for your bike. $199.

Armand

Post by Armand »

Thanks guys. I am in the process of taking it apart now (Sunday). Having some rust trouble. Patience required. I’ll get back w the solution.

Armand

Post by Armand »

Got it apart. The bore is pitted. I see the rebuild kits (when available) are $85+. I figure I’m better off to pay someone to do it right. I’m have a call into Randy long. Thanks gentlemen (and gentlewomen if appropriate)

Armand

Post by Armand »

I sent it off to apple hydraulics (thanks willstone) for rebuild and resleeve. I talked to them and they seemed very knowledgeable and the website is ez to use. We shall see