If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R75/6 Clutch noise

Andey

R75/6 Clutch noise

Post by Andey »

I’m sure there’s another post on this, but I’m getting a noise in the transmission area which sounds like the clutch plates, that disappears when I pull the clutch in...

Seems like a common problem, but I couldn’t find any conclusions to the problem online...

Any thoughts?

schrader7032

Re: R75/6 Clutch noise

Post by schrader7032 »

Read Snowbum's article on transmissions...he has a section on rattles:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/transmission.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

RickR90s

Post by RickR90s »

It's pretty normal if the noise disappears when the clutch is dis-engaged. It's a dry clutch setup and it's the small amount of play on the throw-out bearing assy. and thrust rod. In some cases, the felt on the thrust rod is missing. You could pull the rod to verify if the felt is still there.

Item #2 in the photo.
Clutch Assy.png
RickR90s

Andey

Post by Andey »

RickR90s wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:53 am
It's pretty normal if the noise disappears when the clutch is dis-engaged. It's a dry clutch setup and it's the small amount of play on the throw-out bearing assy. and thrust rod. In some cases, the felt on the thrust rod is missing. You could pull the rod to verify if the felt is still there.

Item #2 in the photo.
Clutch Assy.png
I’ve just gotten back from a 15mile test ride, and the noise has almost disappeared, well it’s gotten back to it’s original dry clutch spinning noise...

Seems to be caused by mis balanced carbs... and I’ve managed to get them in a decent place... no rocking cylinders anymore... at all... I didn’t think it was possible to achieve such a smooth idle and midrange... it really is possible...! might post a reminder here to highlight how I got to that point...

Oh I have the correct parts in the transmission... pieced together the push rod, felt, bearings and washers myself, a mix of new and old parts which seemed to be in good condition... clutch seems to be engaging good, regretting I didn’t replace the whole clutch and not just the friction plate though...

Thanks for the reply though guys... all added up in finding the solution