If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1978 R80/7 engine removal

IanBrown

Re: 1978 R80/7 engine removal

Post by IanBrown »

again, thanks for the input! Time to start reassembling things I think, and a lot of reviewing videos of what I did to get things back together....
Still need to buy a new alternator, exhaust pipes, electronic ignition (destroyed mine getting it off due to corrosion), rebuilding master cylinder and calipers, probably wheel bearings, and need new tires (and deciding how far I want to go with refurbishing rusted chrome spokes), so I'll probably be spreading this out over a few paychecks and months...

srankin

Re: 1978 R80/7 engine removal

Post by srankin »

Just take the cost you figure will cover your restoration and triple it, that should give you plenty of cash, LOL.

Problem I have with "overhaul" or "restoring" bikes is the old, "Gee, that part looks pretty grubby, I really don't want to put it back on my nicely cleaned up freshly painted/powder coated/re chromed, bike.

My recent restoration of my daily rider has gone into the stratosphere for price. Thank goodness I can do the labor. We must be mad? Why would we spend thousands of dollars on a bike which is more than two decades old and in my case been around the horn twice?

Hobby? Obsession? St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS