If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R75/6 Points/condenser issues

Andey

R75/6 Points/condenser issues

Post by Andey »

Hi gents,

Andey again... had been busy with painting the tank on the /6 and other chores at home. So haven’t been connecting much here.

But as I’m piecing the bike back to its former glory, I was having issues with dialling in the carb, it seems forever lean (as it’s on the centre stand, seems fine... after a ride around the block, seems to be lean as the revs don’t drop after coming down from the throttle)... and so I rechecked the points system... imagining the points gap might have been out of sync.

I’d just replaced the condenser about 4 months ago as it had failed, and with that, I changed a new set of points for good measure... but it seems like there’s a build up of white residue on the points that has built up and as I use a test light to check my “S” mark, there’s a spark that jumps across the points which happens.

Something tells me it’s not normal. Anyone have any wisdom on what should be normal and what to look out for? When setting the points up?
Last edited by Andey on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andey

Re: R75/6 Points/condenser issues

Post by Andey »

Photo is the current status...
Attachments
0CA45627-210A-402B-B095-FF2A04AB6C1C.jpeg

srankin

Post by srankin »

The bike looks very good! I will be a smart ass and say, "Ditch the points!" Going to a pointless system may cost a few bucks but is well worth not having the headaches of dealing with 20th century stuff. LOL. As to what system to upgrade to, there are a few now. I have a Dyna system in my RS and it works very well. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Andey

Post by Andey »

srankin wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:33 am
The bike looks very good! I will be a smart ass and say, "Ditch the points!" Going to a pointless system may cost a few bucks but is well worth not having the headaches of dealing with 20th century stuff. LOL. As to what system to upgrade to, there are a few now. I have a Dyna system in my RS and it works very well. St.
I’ve thought about a more modern ignition system... but there’s something nice about the mechanical points system that I like... call me a nostalgic romantic... it’d just be nice to keep it... of course when it runs well, I imagine it’s great... but it’s a hell of a lot of setting though... which I have patience for, but I’m wary of burning through parts... especially if it’s more than a points/condenser parts... I previously ordered multiple sets...

I’m wondering if the white residue is the condenser failing which is caused by another underlying issue...

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

The presence of a white residue seems strange. Do you have any good pictures of it and where it ends up? Not sure how common condenser failure is...doesn't jump out at me as common. Who supplies the condenser? I guess I'd try a new one and see if the residue shows up again. Then try and figure out why.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Andey

Post by Andey »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:20 am
The presence of a white residue seems strange. Do you have any good pictures of it and where it ends up? Not sure how common condenser failure is...doesn't jump out at me as common. Who supplies the condenser? I guess I'd try a new one and see if the residue shows up again. Then try and figure out why.
Yeah, I thought condenser issues are strange... the one I pulled from the bike was rusted and tired looking, seemed like the original which would make it 46 years old, which is understandable...

But reading around, it seems like they’re pretty stable...

I’m wondering if my points gap was too close?

Let me see if I can get a picture, but it looks like a whiteish/grey peaked rust spot

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Any idea what the gap has been? It can only be a small range before you run out of the ability to time the ignition.
Kurt in S.A.

Andey

Post by Andey »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:01 am
Any idea what the gap has been? It can only be a small range before you run out of the ability to time the ignition.
I was aiming for 0.4mm previously, but I think it was a little less as it got hard to get near the “S” mark and have a gap any bigger... it’s definitely moved closer and I haven’t relooked at the gap yet...

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I doubt that a slight difference from 0.40mm makes a difference in this situation.
Kurt in S.A.

Andey

Post by Andey »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:21 pm
I doubt that a slight difference from 0.40mm makes a difference in this situation.
Then that worries me... I was hoping it was because of the gap, that there might be overheating causing the arc at the points...

But what could cause the condenser to not function properly?