If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Stainless vs. Chrome Exhaust Pipes with Steel Mufflers

jimmiejag

Stainless vs. Chrome Exhaust Pipes with Steel Mufflers

Post by jimmiejag »

My 1971 R75/5 has one rusty muffler so I bought a pair of chrome steel mufflers but now see that the existing head and crossover pipes should also be replaced. Is there any issue with SS head/crossover pipes connected to chrome steel mufflers? Or should I simply get chrome head/crossover pipes? What are the advantages of ss over chrome?
Jim, 1971 R75/5, Kirkwood, MO

srankin

Re: Stainless vs. Chrome Exhaust Pipes with Steel Mufflers

Post by srankin »

Jim, I see no one seems to be answering. The only thing I can add, and this may not be true is, Mac exhaust pipes may not fit as well as they should.

The last set of header pipes I installed on my RT after the cross over pipes rotted out (not the middle pipe which is replaceable but the nubs on the main header pipes), were the factory pipes. The mufflers are Kiehein and everything seems to be playing well together five years down the line. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Jim-
The basic advantage of stainless over chrome is rust resistance.
The ss alloy is made of iron/chromium/nickel and forms a surface of chromium oxide, which protects the iron from oxidation.

I chose ss over chrome plated steel back in the day because my bikes lived outdoors in New England 24/7/365, and both the chrome plated steel pipes and mufflers seemed to have a lifespan of 1-2 years.
The bikes now live indoors when not being ridden, and they're still using the same ss exhausts acquired back then; the oldest set (pipes/mufflers) has been in use over 40 years and still going strong.

Some folks object to the straw color the ss pipes develop when subjected to the heat of the exhaust, preferring the blue color the heat forms on chrome plated steel; either is fine with me, with the long lifespan of ss being the easy decider, but many folks know they won't hang onto a bike long enough to justify the investment.

So your choice is subjective; your environment/goals/intentions/pocketbook being the factors in choosing.
Best-
George

skychs

Post by skychs »

I went with the Keihan SS exhaust on my R90. The "straw" color doesn't bother me. It still shines up nicely and most important ..... will last a long time.
Attachments
2282E979-2EFA-404D-9D31-DC5B68ED0319_1_201_a.jpeg
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

Airhead77

Post by Airhead77 »

Can someone please advise on how to recognise the type of exhaust a new to me bike might have, when there isn't rust present?
Current: 1977 BMW R75/7
Sold: 1960 BMW R27, 1972 BMW R50/5
Christos @ Brisbane, Australia

skychs

Post by skychs »

Airhead77 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:55 am
Can someone please advise on how to recognise the type of exhaust a new to me bike might have, when there isn't rust present?
Try a magnet. It will not stick to SS.
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA