If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Another interesting experience at a repair shop

paulepeterson2000

Another interesting experience at a repair shop

Post by paulepeterson2000 »

I was having trouble getting good throttle response on my 1983 R80, so took it to an Airhead-approved shop. He got the engine running perfectly, according to my quick test ride up to about 35 mph over bumpy roads. I mentioned that the tires were about 20 years old, and he said I better get new ones. He replaced the tires. I verified there were new tires on before I paid the bill. When I had an opportunity to take a ride a week or two later, there was a surprise: at around 35 to 40 mph the bike begins to buck like a bronco on smooth roads. Came home, checked the tires, all bolts, free play, etc. Even had the front wheel re-balanced at a local shop. The next ride still experienced the significant shaking. The shop suggested maybe I had a suspension issue. Finally got the correct answer from an Airheads posting: the beads of the new tires were not fully sitting into the rims, and there were slight bends in the rims. Now researching for a shop that repairs cast motorcycle rims. Do I trust any shop at this point, or do I have to rent a hydraulic press and make jigs to repair my own wheels ?

srankin

Re: Another interesting experience at a repair shop

Post by srankin »

Hello, sorry to hear you are having this problem. Obviously either the person who installed the tires was having an off or bad day or, plainly didn't know what he was doing. I am curious about this shop, is it a dealership, a more than one man shop or is it a one man independent shop? The reason is, I have found most repair shops either car or bike are more than happy to work with a customer to make things right. In this case the improper mounting of your tires damaged your wheels. (This is a assumption on my part based on what I read.) Did you go back to the shop in question or did you go to another shop and find this problem? I myself would have gone to the first shop and explained what happened, giving the owner the chance to make the issue right. If at that time the guy turns out to be a jerk, then, I would go to a second shop, get written proof the damage was caused by the first shop and then seek restitution by legal means.

I was a mechanic for a long time and I will admit, I made and continue to make mistakes in the work I do. I did have the honesty to make good my mistakes but I could not do that if I was not informed.

So, in final yes, you can trust other shops, You might even be able to again trust the first shop depending upon how you interact with them and their interaction with you.

There are wheel repair shops around the country, I would not bother trying to fix the wheels yourself, by the time you get the proper tools, jigs and fiddle with them, you will have far more money into them than sending them to a shop.
The other alternative is to look for good used ones at a reputable parts place, there are a few on the net.

Good luck in your dealings with any shop you choose, If the first shop turns out to be a jerk, do us a favor here and give us their name so we know who to avoid. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS