If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R75/6 Leak on the cylinder, but what about the head gasket

Andey

R75/6 Leak on the cylinder, but what about the head gasket

Post by Andey »

Newb question, but with the cylinder head gasket (the one between the cylinder and head) does it need changing for a new one after each dismantle?

I had a leak with the cylinder and the engine and must have missed an area with the hylomar which I’ve just reapplied the sealant (fingers crossed it’s not leaking yet...) but the head gasket is sweating oil...

I’m wondering if the gasket is a one time use, or is it something similar to the valve cover where you are expected to reuse the gasket...

srankin

Re: R75/6 Leak on the cylinder, but what about the head gasket

Post by srankin »

I always use new head gaskets when I remove the heads from the cylinders. I don't think they would crush back 100% the way they were before disassembly. They are relatively cheap, so don't scrimp there.

I have never used any kind of sealant on the head gaskets and so far have never had a problem with leaks. A lot of it has to do with cleaning, proper installation and torque of the heads.

If I am supposed to be using a sealant, Opps, my bad. I don't use sealant on anything unless it specifically says to do so.

I will digress to Snowbum Kurt or Brook on this point. I just know what has worked for me in the past. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Andey

Re: R75/6 Leak on the cylinder, but what about the head gasket

Post by Andey »

srankin wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:27 pm
I always use new head gaskets when I remove the heads from the cylinders. I don't think they would crush back 100% the way they were before disassembly. They are relatively cheap, so don't scrimp there.

I have never used any kind of sealant on the head gaskets and so far have never had a problem with leaks. A lot of it has to do with cleaning, proper installation and torque of the heads.

If I am supposed to be using a sealant, Opps, my bad. I don't use sealant on anything unless it specifically says to do so.

I will digress to Snowbum Kurt or Brook on this point. I just know what has worked for me in the past. St.
Thanks Stu, seems like i'll replace the gasket head... will order a bunch of spares...

Sorry for the sealant, i was referring to engine block to cylinder, not cylinder to head....

Seems to be the mating surfaces between the engine and cylinder are a little roughed up with chips and knicks and have had better days... thats where i was using the sealant