If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/6 swing arm rubber boot leak

Andey

Re: /6 swing arm rubber boot leak

Post by Andey »

srankin wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:55 am
The boot itself is not perfectly round, The long way goes up and down. (I bet that really helps, sorry)

Are you using the correct clamps? They are the fiddly narrow special ones, not regular hose clamps?

When you get it right, you won't need silicone at all, I wouldn't recommend it as it just makes a big mess.

I will try to get my lazy butt out to my garage today and take some snaps of what I have. Of course by then, you may have it together. Cheers, St.
I see the oben (top) mark and have it facing in the right direction and trust me, I used a spirit level to make sure it’s completely straight... I’m a little anal like that...

Using the thin hose clamp (ordered from boxer2valve) which just fits the groove in the boot...

Ideally no silicon... but I’m out of ideas...

srankin

Post by srankin »

Okay, I took some pictures, the swing arm half of the boot is the one which always drives me crazy. Not sure if this helps.

So like most modern technology it has only take me a half an hour to share three pictures in the post. LOL. St.
Attachments
There are two marks here, one is the area to cover, the other is the clip which the boot should be under.
There are two marks here, one is the area to cover, the other is the clip which the boot should be under.
This is the trans side, note the mark, this area should be covered completely.
This is the trans side, note the mark, this area should be covered completely.
This is the boot installed, not much help sorry
This is the boot installed, not much help sorry
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Andey

Post by Andey »

srankin wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:01 pm
Okay, I took some pictures, the swing arm half of the boot is the one which always drives me crazy. Not sure if this helps.

So like most modern technology it has only take me a half an hour to share three pictures in the post. LOL. St.
Help a lot to see what youre highlighting...

I think I might have pushed the boot too far towards the rear wheel... I have reset it, but not had chance to go for a test because of the weather

srankin

Post by srankin »

Sweet spot,

Yep, there is a sweet spot on the bloody thing, LOL. The wheel side is the worst side as well.

I would have loved to see how the factory put the boot on, I sure know it is a pain to put it on after final assembly. Who knows, maybe they didn't have a special jig or tools but some poor guy or girl who did so many of them it became easy for them to do it first time right. LOL, who knows?

I am not looking forward to reinstalling the boot on my RT when I start putting it back together this winter. Cheers, St.

Carott

Post by Carott »

Andy,

After a few failed attempts to install the boot in place I have found that despite the extra work involved, removing the swingarm completely and installing the boot on the swingarm side at the bench saves my sanity.
Also be aware that a leak from the clutch rod seal at the gearbox can run down the clutch arm and mimic a leaky boot.

Brett

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have done what Brett has done, put the boot on before the swing arm is on the bench. Still a pain in the butt.

Good thought on the clutch lever boot. St.

Andey

Post by Andey »

Carott wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:52 am
Andy,

After a few failed attempts to install the boot in place I have found that despite the extra work involved, removing the swingarm completely and installing the boot on the swingarm side at the bench saves my sanity.
Also be aware that a leak from the clutch rod seal at the gearbox can run down the clutch arm and mimic a leaky boot.

Brett
So interestingly, i installed the boot off the bike, which wasnt a problem (I didnt clamp it down because of the driveshaft bolts needing to be installed) however the gearbox side was a pain... the boot just wouldnt slide on, it was always half on half off... persistency with 2 flat bladed screwdrivers, (trying not to knick any of the surfaces) prevailed...

Noted on the clutch arm... I had the leak recently coming out of the gearbox and changed the actuation piston rubber ring (looks strangely like the ATE front brake master cylinder piston rubber seal too...!) when I changed the clutch plates and had the gearbox out and it seems to have solved the problem

Andey

Post by Andey »

srankin wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:57 pm
I have done what Brett has done, put the boot on before the swing arm is on the bench. Still a pain in the butt.

Good thought on the clutch lever boot. St.
I've made some progress on the leak. the boot was too far back and moving it to so the clamp is as straight (vertically) as possible seems to have sorted out the problem. will keep test riding it and see what happens...

srankin

Post by srankin »

It does you well, you have patience, I don't and frequently the air in my shop is blue.

Nice you got it sorted out, enjoy the ride. I am still grounded, and envious. St.

Andey

Post by Andey »

srankin wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:09 am
It does you well, you have patience, I don't and frequently the air in my shop is blue.

Nice you got it sorted out, enjoy the ride. I am still grounded, and envious. St.
Looks to have worked... survived a quick 10mile ride and not leaked yet...

Stu, basic up and running for me and slowly piece it back together the way you want it... if not I’d be pulling out my hair in anticipation...