If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/6 swing arm rubber boot leak

Andey

/6 swing arm rubber boot leak

Post by Andey »

So after installing the swing arm back, I’ve replace the rubber boot between the swing arm and transmission as the previous boot seemed to be the original and had a few cracks and had hardened over time... I had a leak which I patched up with some gasket sealant just to keep major leaks happening...

However with the new boot, it’s still leaking... not as bad as before, but a few drops here and there... this is on the side of the swing arm, not the transmission side.

Any tips on installing a leak free boot? I feel the clamps are doing their job properly... I see challenges with a round clamp vs the square swing arm...

schrader7032

Re: /6 swing arm rubber boot leak

Post by schrader7032 »

The clamp goes around a round boot and a round portion of the driveshaft...nothing square about it. Clean things up and really see where the leak is coming from. But there's a small landing area where the clamp must be on the front and rear areas...be sure that the boot is fully seated.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

The swing arm boot is one of the banes of airhead mechanics. I can't count the number of times I have turned the air blue reinstalling one. They are fussy and a pain to get right.

I will try to get some pictures of the one on my RS, if they show anything worthwhile I will post them, it might help you St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Andey

Post by Andey »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:05 am
The clamp goes around a round boot and a round portion of the driveshaft...nothing square about it. Clean things up and really see where the leak is coming from. But there's a small landing area where the clamp must be on the front and rear areas...be sure that the boot is fully seated.
Ah sorry to confuse, but what I was meaning was that the swing arm profile facing it from the headlight is actually more square, it’s not actually a circle like it is on the transmission side... but the clamps themselves are actually round... you don’t have square clamps... so in some areas where the boot loops around on the swing arm (the corners) will be tight and some will be looser (top, bottom and sides) because of the clamp...

Apologies for the terrible drawing, swing arm facing the headlight... blue is the clamp, red arrows on the pressure points
Attachments
3DAC9413-26E1-4399-BB93-7ECF3DF182F7.jpeg

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

OK, but the design is pretty simple and should work fine. There is a bit of lip and the clamp can't rest on the lip.
Kurt in S.A.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Yep, that is how it looks, better than a camera picture. The lip Kurt is talking about is on the top, be sure not to install the boot over it but instead clip it in the clip, (sounds like a new song, LOL). The clamps will form to fit.

Some old engineer is drinking his beer right now laughing at his joke of a design. St.

Andey

Post by Andey »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:19 pm
OK, but the design is pretty simple and should work fine. There is a bit of lip and the clamp can't rest on the lip.
So should the boot on the swing arm side try to be as close to the transmission as possible?

The way the swing arm is shaped, and not much space for the clamp to clamp onto, just leaves a lot of room for gaps...

Andey

Post by Andey »

srankin wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:06 am
Yep, that is how it looks, better than a camera picture. The lip Kurt is talking about is on the top, be sure not to install the boot over it but instead clip it in the clip, (sounds like a new song, LOL). The clamps will form to fit.

Some old engineer is drinking his beer right now laughing at his joke of a design. St.
I've tried moving the boot and re-clamping... might have to use silicon again if it doesnt work....

srankin

Post by srankin »

The boot itself is not perfectly round, The long way goes up and down. (I bet that really helps, sorry)

Are you using the correct clamps? They are the fiddly narrow special ones, not regular hose clamps?

When you get it right, you won't need silicone at all, I wouldn't recommend it as it just makes a big mess.

I will try to get my lazy butt out to my garage today and take some snaps of what I have. Of course by then, you may have it together. Cheers, St.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

^^^ What ST said!
Kurt in S.A.