If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Looking for Mechanical Help in Indianapolis Area

rds

Looking for Mechanical Help in Indianapolis Area

Post by rds »

Greetings all, joined a few years ago but this is my first post. I have a dual plug 1978 R100RS that just recently would not return to idle after riding for more than 15-20 minutes. Thought it was a throttle cable issue but the linkage returns to proper position. Was researching the problem and read several posts about a sticking advance unit. This sounds a likely problem but I am not a wrench and would like to find someone close by that might help. Would you please PM me if you know of anyone who is knowledgeable of Airheads in the Indianapolis area? Happy to pay for services with bills, beer, bourbon or Burgundy!
Thanks for any assistance.
Richard Stone
Often wrong...never in doubt!

schrader7032

Re: Looking for Mechanical Help in Indianapolis Area

Post by schrader7032 »

Richard -

Welcome! So this just started? Was there any maintenance that preceded this? Typically one goes back to the last thing that was touched.

You might need a carb synch...we've had a back-and-forth about the best way to do that here on the forum. The sign that the idle hangs up when hot does suggest that. However, as you indicate, it could be a sticking advance. To determine if it is the advance, get the engine warm with the idle hanging up. Come to a stop and maybe gently putting the front tire into a wall straight on. Then engage first gear and slowly begin to let out the clutch...you're going to drag the engine speed down. This might then allow the advance weights to come down as well. If you then pull the clutch back in and the idle stays down, then it likely is the advance unit. If not then probably a carb synch is needed.

Maybe someone from the Indy area will pipe in. Otherwise, this lists an independent mechanic in Fredericksburg IN a couple of hour south of you:

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/independent-bmw-mechanics/ - Guenter knows his stiff

A different listing shows a guy up in Crown Point:

https://www.airheads.org/public_documen ... 0Shops.pdf
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

rds

Post by rds »

Thanks Kurt
I will do as you suggested. I didn't think it was a carb problem because for the last year everything was running smoothly and then a ride a few weeks ago the engine wouldn't come down to idle at a stop. This has happened the last two rides. Thought it might be a stuck cable but the cables to the carbs went back to full off throttle position.
Richard Stone
Often wrong...never in doubt!

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

If you're not already a member of the Airheads Beemer Club, joining will put you in touch with other airhead bike owners in your area. They should be able to recommend good mechanics. I've found that many of the members themselves can be very knowledgeable and helpful in maintaining our bikes.

Here's the website, if you need it: https://airheads.org/ It's down until sometime tomorrow, as some updating is being done on it.

There's also an email list you may not know about, where people share problems and advice about our bikes. It's free to join, unlike the club which does require paying dues: airheads-request@lists.micapeak.com Lots of expert advice promptly offered, but use the digest mode if you don't want too much email traffic.
Lincoln--Ann Arbor & Taos
1967 R69S, original owner; 1978 R100S; 2001 R1150GS; 2002 R1150RT