If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1977 R100/7 "garage find"

pastorpauls

1977 R100/7 "garage find"

Post by pastorpauls »

Last winter, I was given a1977 R100/7 that had been sitting in a friends garage for 30 years. My mission is to get it back in running condition, but I have zero experience with BMW's. Everything I do on the bike is a learning experience. Couple that with the fact that I'm almost 76 years old, and you begin to see what I'm up against. Fortunately, I believe it has been well maintained, and was put away properly. I am replacing all the gas lines, changing fluids and filters, and trying to figure out how stuff works. Any advice or help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

schrader7032

Re: 1977 R100/7 "garage find"

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! The 1977 R100/7 is a bit of a unicorn...beginning with the 1978 models in January 1, the US EPA rules began to take effect and the engine was detuned in stages. So 1977 might be the peak of performance.

Here's a few websites you might want to bookmark for future reading:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/technica ... s-list.htm
http://largiader.com/

Depending on where you're located, sources for mechanical help/services are east coast - Tom Cutter; and west coast - Ted Porter.

As for things to consider for waking the bike up, there have been lists written over the years but who knows where they are now! On Snowbum's page, he has some things listed for regular maintenance as well as things to do prior to putting the bike up for the winter. I'm sure a lot of these apply to what you're considering doing.

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/maintsched.htm

Be sure and stop by and ask questions. I'm sure others will have some ideas as well!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Hello, welcome to the airhead syndicate!

If you are in my neck of the woods, Rochester NY area, I am free to give a hand or I know of a small one man independent shop near by.

Anton's website is excellent as is Snowbum's. There is another website to look up a fellow called Brook Reams.

Honestly, if the bike you have was put away properly it won't take much to get it running and riding.

The problems you might well face will be due to the condition of the seals. And the condition of the inside of the gas tank.

In my opinion, change the fuel lines, the fluids, tires and then ride it. If any major seal leaks start of course fix them asap. Little leaks or seeps can wait till winter days.

Have fun in both bringing it back to life and riding. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

pastorpauls

Post by pastorpauls »

I am located in central Virginia, and have been in touch with Vamotorad in Charlottesville, who seems to be my local commercial outlet. Gas tank may have been emptied prior to storage, as it is dry (surprise), but does have some odor of fuel. I have a Clymer manual that is pretty broad in its focus (500 - 1000cc twins, 1970 - 1979). My first task is to find current suppliers of filters. Can someone give me a list of filters that are available?

pastorpauls

Post by pastorpauls »

The tires seem sound; I put air in them several months ago and they are holding pressure well.

srankin

Post by srankin »

After sitting 30 years of sitting, I would ditch the tires. Tires don't age very well. They may look fine but may not be. Tires are cheap compared to personal injury due to a blown one. Why take the chance? St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS