If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Oil top ends right side BMW R60/5.

toolmandoug

Re: Oil top ends right side BMW R60/5.

Post by toolmandoug »

Your problem sounds exactly like my experience. I asked exactly the same questions on this forum in 2016. Go to page 17 and check it out. When you stated that you could blow air through oil passage, there should be a restriction. That’s what I reasoned when I was diagnosing my problem. I finally removed my cylinder stood on my head and found my problem. The patch I wrote about did last through that summer. In the winter I put the engine on my bench, upside down. Removed the stud in front of engine that screwed in the rocker oil gallery and drove a roll pin in to “patch” the hole. I enlarged the slot in the roll plan so not to close off the oil passage to the cylinder, and scribed it to know when to stop driving roll pin in. Thought about few ways to repair my dilemma, and figured this would be the best. I have to admit that I was not to proud of my JB Weld patch, but it held so well that when I remove the patch it made the hole in oil gallery bigger. It removed metal from the block. Might want to remove the cylinder and check if you have the same factory defect like I had.
Copper wire in photo is in the oil passage that feeds the cylinder from oil gallery.
Keep us posted on what you find.
Doug
Attachments
A668A583-03FD-4054-B242-1769C852A0FC.jpeg
3A09D6AF-7AB8-49CC-A76E-A06610482F98.jpeg

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Here's Doug's post:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13470

It won't stay on page 17 forever!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

norwaybike

Post by norwaybike »

I have now taken off, again, the cylinder on the right side to inspect the oil gallery. Unfortunately, I find no signs that machining of the block has led to holes on the inside where it should not be. Everything looks normal.
I notice that if I seal the oil hole on the rear bolt and the oil hole that goes to the cylinder foot and uses compressed air in the front hole, it is completely tight. This is perhaps correct if the oil channels towards the front end bearing are filled with oil? If not it is completely clogged for another reason, which explains the problem .. Now I seriously have no idea what to do, Iam tempted to reassemble, give the rocker assembly some oil and drive a ride to see if anything more oil remains in the cover after a few kilometers. Any good tips?

toolmandoug

Post by toolmandoug »

I think the next thing I would do is remove the oil sending unit, put a rubber tip blow gun and see if there is any air coming out of oil feed holes to the cylinder at the block. Cylinder being removed for this test. If there is no air leaving the holes, then I would start looking for an internal problem. It may take a while to push air through the system. Double check your rocker arm shafts and mounting blocks for the oil path thru these components too.
I hope this helps.
Doug