If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Brake update

cbrackney

Brake update

Post by cbrackney »

Thanks for having me - my first post - seeking opinions.

In the process of restoring my 1981 R100RT - mechanics and electrical sorted - time to focus on brakes and aesthetics (dropped tins off for a refresh today). While the bike is partially disassembled- considering to either continue with a refreshed stock setup or relocate the master cylinder. Stock dual disc brakes w/ATE calipers up front and drum in rear.
Thickness of discs are within spec and brake pads are recently (correctly) installed.
Typical frame surface corrosion around the master cylinder - not actively leaking (replaced the reservoir).

Has anyone done the relocation conversion?

Was it worth the effort?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Pittsburgh, PA

schrader7032

Re: Brake update

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! I've not done the conversion on my /7, but I hear people do it and like it. About the only thing I can offer is to read Snowbum's section about this conversion. It is under paragraph 8A ATE Conversions on this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/brakes.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Wayne J in MA

Post by Wayne J in MA »

I did the conversion to my R100S two years ago with the conversion kit from Motobins. It is a 14mm master going to my stock dual 40mm ATE calipers.
All I can say is that it was a dramatic increase. It is very easy to grab too much in a panic stop and lock up the front wheel. Need to use one or two fingers.
'62 R69S, '71 R75/5 SWB, '78 R100S Motorsport
Westwood, MA USA

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have a 78 RS, with the ATE brakes and master cylinder under the gas tank.

Very seriously looking to convert the whole shebang to a Brembo brake system with the master cylinder on the handlebars.

I have a 84 R80RT with the Brembo system and it is far better than the ATE system.

Now if I can only find a donor bike or the parts for the right price. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I was out on my /7 just this past weekend...has single ATE. I hear a lot about these type of brake upgrades, but since the last master cylinder overhaul and bleeding, I don't think I've had better brakes since I got the bike. I'm normally just using 2 fingers and I get what I feel is very good braking with good feel...need more, just add a finger to the lever.

Not sure why it feels so much better, but I finally came up with a way to get the eccentric adjustment spot on. Given where I'm at, I don't think I'd want to spend the money or time trying to improve. That said, I can't say I've really driven a newer model. Maybe I don't want to know!!
Kurt in S.A.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Don't get me wrong, when properly set up, the ATE system is pretty darn good. It takes a bit of fiddling and the proper knowledge to get the system to work at its best.

Brembo brakes on the other hand have no eccentric, no adjustment to go out of adjustment.
The handle bar master cylinder has no cable, which can stretch or get out of adjustment.

As for me, I will only do a conversion if I come across the individual parts for the right price or a right priced donor bike to swap out parts. If that doesn't happen, I will live with the ATE system. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

srankin wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:07 pm
As for me, I will only do a conversion if I come across the individual parts for the right price or a right priced donor bike to swap out parts. If that doesn't happen, I will live with the ATE system. St.
I can certainly agree with that approach! :)
Kurt in S.A.